𝟑𝟎 | 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 for endings

"What goes on between Adrik and I has nothing to do with you," Avelina told him softly. She was still confused about everything and didn't know how to deal with it all. One thing she was sure of was that she loved Adrik.

"That's where you're wrong. It has everything to do with me. After all that I've told you about the wrong in their family, you really think you can just go and betray us-me, grandma, mama, and papa?" He questioned, anger all over his expression.

"Adrik wasn't the one that convinced to steal from a mafia! A mafia! What do you expect for them to do to our family, huh? You expected them to give us a hug and tell us that everything will be okay?" Avelina asked.

He seemed hurt by her question-she saw it all over his face. Guilt was trying to carve itself into her heart but her anger wasn't allowing it to. She had enough of being told what to do. She had enough of always having to give away her umbrella. For once, it was her turn she walk home without being drenched in rain. It was her turn actually care about herself.

"I'm not betraying any of you. Unless you can tell me that Adrik has harmed me or my family in any way, then I will never hate him for something that his sister did. I'm sure you've harmed and hurt people, and I know that I would hate it if they used what you did against me! It's not fair for me or you to do that to Adrik, okay? It's not fair!" She exclaimed.

"You know what? You'll see for yourself. Zolotov's only use you to get what they want and then just like that," he snapped his fingers, "they're gone."

"Adrik isn't Natasha, Vincent," she pointed out.

"And you know this based on the three little months that you've spent with him?" Vincent asked her.

She's only known everyone for three months and then she goes off and restarts with a client before the cycle continues.

"That's three months longer than I've known you."

"Okay. You'll see," he stated with a clenched jaw. Avelina watched him turn towards Miss Paola who was sitting on the couch, watching the scene unfold in front of her.

"Goodbye, Paola. Thank you for allowing me to stop by and have a word with my sister," he smiled at Her kindly.

She gave him a hard wink. "Stop by anytime you want. You know where I live."

He gave her a tight-lipped smile before walking out of her penthouse as if his life depended on it. The second he was gone, Avelina let out a loud exhale and threw herself down on the couch. Her hand had risen up to her head as she began to rub it with the pads of her thumb and index finger.

"I have no clue what just happened. My first question, why did you never think to me you had a brother-a fine brother?" Miss Paola asked.

Avelina couldn't help her irritation that was hitting an all-time peak. It crept on her before she had a chance to stop it.

"I don't want to talk about this. I'm sorry," she muttered.

Miss Paola let out a sigh before getting up from v the couch. She walked over to a record player and reached for a vinyl record. Avelina could only watch the woman place it onto the record player and move the tone-arm over the record.

"What are y-"

"Shh, child," Miss Paola spoke just as the soft, rich music began to shuffle onto her ears. It was a beautiful sound -a hint of jazz, maybe. The song sent a vibration right to the center of Avelina's heart and it was warming.

"Dance with me, and you can talk when you are ready," Miss Paola said. Avelina stood up and grasped the woman's arms before dancing with her around the room.