CH 18 successes & setbacks

Interior. Sonic Boom

Austin and Dez are standing in the vicinity of the sales counter at Sonic Boom. Austin walks over to the left of us towards the back door, and Ally  walks over to him with Kenzie from under the balcony.

Kenzie: Um, guys... What are you doing?

Austin: Building the first ever musical instrument domino course.

Dez: Hit it, Austin! (they high-five each other)

Austin starts a row of harmonicas moving up the railing between the first as a second floor, and it comes back down again, knocking a microphone onto a tambourine that slides down and knocks over some violin cases, the last one of which falls onto some empty CD cases knocking over blue harmonicas that knock over some more CD cases, the last one of which bounces off of a kettle drum, then onto a snare drum, hitting a guitar case that hits another violin case, knocking a microphone attached to the head of a guitar onto a cymbal on the side of a piano. That cymbal rolls across the piano, and bumps into a sousaphone case , which somehow cuts a rope, dropping an amplifier off the counter top and fall on an accordion forcing air pressure leading to a tuba. Dez runs into that tuba expecting something to happen, and is instantly disappointed.

Dez: Well, that stunk.

Austin: What? That was amazing.

Ally: Yeah, I gotta admit, that was pretty cool.

Dez: No it wasn't. At the end, pudding was supposed to explode out of the tuba. What's the point of knocking all those instruments if there's no pudding explosion? (grunts in frustration and walks away)

Just then Trish walks in dressed like a sausage wrapped in falaffel bread with toppings, although some might mistake her for a hot dog. A tall, sharply dressed, bald African-American man with tinted glasses walks in front of her, but nobody notices for a while. He sits down to read a magazine.

Trish: Guess who got a job at the... (gasps, then sighs)

Austin: You got a job at... (imitating her gaps and sigh)? What kind of a place is that?

Trish: No, I got a job at the Sausage Cart. I said (gasps) Because of that guy over there. I'm pretty sure that's Jimmy Starr. He owns Starr Records.

Austin: No way! He's like one of the biggest names in music. I'm gonna go get a better look.

Kenzie: I'll join.

Ally: Don't make it obvious.

Austin: Ally, Please. (seems like they'll be subtle) Jimmy Starr!

He turns around, as Ally ducks behind the counter,Kenzie hides behind the piano, Trish turns around, and Austin ducks behind Trish's costume. Jimmy resumes reading his magazine, as Austin, Ally and Trish emerge from hiding.

Austin: It's him.

Ally: No way. I've been giving his son violin lessons for weeks. I had no idea.

Trish: This is huge. Your best shot at a record deal is sitting right there. You know what you need to do, right?

Ally: Oh yeah. I'll keep giving his son lessons each week, dropping very subtle hints about Austin's music. Then, in 4 to 5 months-

Trish: (interrupting) No, we're doing this now. (she approaches Jimmy Starr, dragging the pop-stars and songwriter with her) Jimmy, baby. How the heck are you?

Jimmy Starr: Let's start with who the heck are you?

Trish: You, know, Trish. We met at that thing. (chuckles, then makes gun-clicking noises)