CHAPTER IV

CHAPTER FOUR

The sun shined brilliantly, along with the warm morning breeze that was carrying bits of fallen leaves from the great oak trees. The water surface of the East Lake was dazzling for it was sparkling, and glittering as it reflects the golden sunlight.

Everything was in their perfect place.

The loud chattering resonated throughout the city as the further celebration of the people carried on because of the victorious return of their Emperor.

"Life goes on, even if your world is crumbling to pieces."

Celestine remembered those words, it was from a book that she has read before. That phrase fitted perfectly to what was happening in her life.

As she felt the warm air blowing against her face, suddenly, it seemed cold for her. She tried to harden her heart. Today, she will lose everything. A mere courtesan like her no longer has the free will to decide for herself. Prolonging her pointless struggle was only to prolong her own misery.

It is better to accept the fate that she has been given. After all, she was indeed warned before by her mother.

"Not everyone can attain real freedom and happiness."

She smiled bitterly as she remembered those words.

In all honesty, never did she thought that she would be one of those to face such life's tragedy. Somehow, she thought that she was different from everybody else. She possessed great qualities, even as a child. She knew that she was brilliant, and is supposed to be one that is shining amongst the stars.

However, nothing really does go one's way. Life seems like an endless struggle, and what's sad is the fact that the more you struggle, the more you are bound to be in such a deep misery.

Everything seemed pointless for Celestine.

Last night, she spent all of her time, crying in despair. However, when she noticed the scroll that was given to her by her mother, which she threw because of extreme anger, she felt torn, unsure of her feelings.

The scroll's contents were the preposition that was given to her mother by the Governor. Unlike the original terms, the family was allowed to leave, bringing their possessions with them. They will also be given a small house, by the mountains on the outskirts of Maylea, however, they will not be allowed to once again enter the city.

Knowing that her family's circumstance somehow got lighter, she felt relieved, but that did not change the fact that she was displeased about the decision of her mother. She wanted to at least be the one to decide for herself, even though she knew that she would also agree due to the fact that she values her family's safety more than hers.

That is why, for now, she won't be doing anything rash, and will just follow the orders sent by the Governor's decree.

As she was about to leave the house, her family all gathered to send her off, some of them were crying, the others calming them down, sending her a sad and pitiful look, while the others looked like they simply did not care.

Because she was still hurt and ashamed, she failed to return her family's bidding, only giving them what seemed like a cold shoulder before proceeding to follow the guards that served as her companions.

And now, as they were on their way to the Governor's residences, Celestine couldn't help but question, 'Why must I attract such powerful yet cowardly man? Resorting to such disgraceful acts just to get what he wants, he clearly is far from being a gentleman.' She thought.