XV

the morning of awsten's birthday was surreal. it hadn't hit taylor that she finally had awsten back, that it was his arms on her waist, holding her in place, that it was his face burried in the crook of her neck. this wasn't like the other day where they woke up in each other's arms on accident, this was entiely intentional.

this was the best present awsten could ask for. taylor to forgive him, elle to love him, and to have everything as it should be. awsten dreamed of this day everyday for five years. he hated himself for five years, but the more time that went on, the more awsten feared taylor would never let him come back. originally, awsten went to take a walk, but then he ended up staying with geoff, and then he moved to los angels, and it just got more complicated. he was scared to be a father. he was scared he would fuck everything up, so he thought not being there was the best option for elle. this wasn't the case, but it didn't matter, because it was awsten's 28th birthday, and taylor woke up in his arms.

taylor and elle would be going home tomorrow, leaving awsten's apartment empty. awsten wanted to chase them back to texas and never leave them, but he knew he couldn't, not yet at least.

"good morning," taylor whispered, her voice raspy from sleep. these good mornings, the way she still looked perfect, awsten missed it. "happy birthday."

"morning." he smiled back at her. he leaned down to kiss taylor's forehead. she closed her eyes briefly and smiled.

"is this real?" she asked him.

"god i hope so." he replied with a slight chuckle. they layed like that for another ten minutes before taylor got up. "what! no?"

"we gotta get up eventually, aws." she reminded him. awsten pouted. "come on birthday boy." she laughed, tugging on his arm so he'd leave the bed. awsten eventually complied, leaving the bed.

the two of them met gracie and elle in thr kitchen, where gracie was making eggs.

"hey, sorry about making food without asking, but we wanted to bring you breakfast in bed. happy birthday, awsten!" gracie beamed from the stove.

"happy birthday, daddy!" elle smiled, going to hug awsten's legs.

"thank you!"

the day appeared to go quieter than expected. awsten said himself that he wasn't into parties or big events anyway. they ended up having a homemade meal from taylor and eating at the table in the kitchen. until elijah and sam showed up.

"happy birthday, gremlin!" elijah yelled, walking into the apartment. "we bring gifts!"

"hey guys." sam replied, quieter than his boyfriend, but still a reasonable volume.

"just when i thought i got rid of you." taylor teased. elijah appeared hurt, playing into the game.

"rude!" he yelled, "i'll have you kno there is no getting rid of me."

"unfortunately, this is true." sam sighed, earning a slap on the arm from elijah.

"ooh right! sam, this is taylor, she's funny," elijah introduced his boyfriend. "and this is her and awsten's daughter, elle, right?"

"yup!" the child beamed at the man.

"hello taylor, hello elle." sam kindly responded.

"aparantly awsten had a five year old he decided not to tell us about."

"elijah," taylor warned, elijah pulled back.

"wow you really are a mom, jesus christ."

"special quality of being a mom and a waitress." she smirked. elijah and sam joined them at the table.

"dude, this is so good, how are you this good?" elijah asked. taylor's cheeks went red.

"my grandma taught me to cook when my dad would drop me off at her house, and also every once and a while i'll cook for the diner." taylor explained.  "this was awsten's favorite dinner i would make."

"your grandma loved me." awsten replied.

"she loved you cause you helped her around the house. no one cared to do that."

the night continued with elijah and sam giving awsten his gifts, a von dutch hat from elijah and some crystal from sam. awsten's face lit up and he laughed with his friends. gracie gave awsten one of her custom ashtrays, filled with stickers and photos of things he enjoyed. taylor handed him a small bag with a few items inside. a shirt with the logo for "chinatown market" and a picture frame. inside the frame lay a photo of awsten and elle the night they went to see the show. awsten felt like crying, but sent taylor a heartfelt smile.

after sam and elijah left, taylor put elle to bed. gracie was no where to be seen. taylor walked into awsten's room, seeing him in his bed.

"i just came to say good night."

"you're not joining me?" he asked her.

"i didn't think you'd want me to,"

"tonight is the last night i'm gonna see you for a while. please." he looked at taylor, his eyes pleading her to join him. she rolled her eyes, pulling her shirt over her head, going and grabbing one one of his shirts and pulling it onto her body. awsten didn't seem to care, they dated for seven and a half years after all.

taylor crawled into bed with awsten.  under the covers, he held her close to him. her left leg was curled up over his legs and her head and hand were on his bare torso.

"i missed this." awsten whispers to his girlfriend. she was his girlfriend, he realized. the realization made him smile wide.

"what're you smiling about?" taylor asked, smiling back. she didn't want to admit how infectious his smile was.

"i don't know if i'm stupid and i just realized this, you're my girlfriend." taylor smiled wider.

"i guess i am."

the two of them talked until taylor fell asleep. awsten smiled down at his girlfriend and kissed the top of her head softly.

when morning came, taylor woke up early to get ready for her and elle's flight home. gracie would stay another week. awsten woke up to find taylor wasn't there.  he met the woman in his living room. elle was gripping her dad's stuffed animal.

"do we have to go?" she asked her mother. taylor sighed.

"unfortunately. i wanna stay too, elle."

"i'm gonna miss you two." awsten said from the doorway, taylor turned and solemnly looked towards her boyfriend. they just got back together, and she had to leave. "i'll come visit. i promise."

"i'm holding you to that knight. " taylor weakly teased, walking over and throwing her arms around awsten. he gripped her waist to hold her. they stayed hugging for almost a minute, taylor trying to remember every detail about him before she left.   awsten leaned down and kissed her softly.

"i'll miss you." he mumbled.

"i already miss you."

awstenknight

liked by elainedave, taylormartxn, and 11,358 othersawstenknight BIRTHDAY BOY 🤩view commentsuser24: soft 🥺user39: i saw awsten and gracie at disneyland with some girl and a little kid the other day, anyone know what's up?↪user93: gracie said it ...

awstenknight BIRTHDAY BOY 🤩
view comments
user24: soft 🥺
user39: i saw awsten and gracie at disneyland with some girl and a little kid the other day, anyone know what's up?
↪user93: gracie said it was her niece?
↪user42: maybe it's niece like how we call our parents' friends aunt or uncle