Truth

Cheryl POV

I recovered from my slumber, for Peter had successfully thrust some painful syringe into my flesh that overpowered my cells, and I lost consciousness within seconds, I was sure.

My eyes were blinking slowly, but I immediately clasped the atmosphere. It was night because the place was dark and cool. Apart from the nightstand lamps that provided a subdued light, any other lanterns were off.

I was lying on my stomach where the bed felt comfy, and not a feeling of angst did arise in me, for I was able to breathe after a long time.

"I wished things were different, Cheryl!" I heard the sad raspy voice, and promptly, my heart stopped. He was there-nowhere but next to him.

Funny! for my arm was on his lap wrapped around his waist, how?
His torso felt completely bare. I could feel his warm naked skin, and I suddenly began to panic. Did we? I swallowed and lowered my eyes down-peeping to find myself fully dressed.

But still, even with the recent relief-I was flapped, but I refused to let him know I was awake. I was hoping he would leave the room eventually. What was he doing here anyway? Why did I have my arm around him while he was sitting with his legs straight on the bed and his back against the headboard?

I was confused.

"On April 20th, 2008, my dad had a business meeting in another state, and that day was my eighth birthday. My dad was one to never bail on his family, so he took my mom and me along."

I immediately knew it was a bonus. Finn didn't intend for me to hear, but I was awake, and he had no idea, so I listened quietly. His fingers were massaging my scalp slowly, and I believed somewhere in the back of my mind, it was okay.

"We left Chicago and headed to Arkansas, where my mom made an order for my birthday cake. Before we headed to this small beautiful town, that was the colorful place I had ever seen. Everything was just like a storybook." He said slowly.

"Dad was so cautious about these two black suitcases. He said it was for work. . ." Finn's voice was low and calm in the dull room, and I was struggling to keep my breathing steady-assuring him I was still on medication.

"On our way, he told my mom about Eureka Springs successful businessmen who wanted to cooperate with him for the construction of a non-profit school for the poor people in that town. Funny right? why they invited a Chicago resident who had no relation with Arkansas, but I thought it was because my dad was a famous successful engineer." He halted for a while before he continued. His voice was pained. I felt it; I wondered where the story was headed, for it was hurting him.

"When we arrived in your town, it was early evening. My dad left with those suitcases for the meeting while mom and I waited in the small apartment my parents rented. Although the cake came first, and we vowed to wait for dad to come back before I blow the candles, but it was getting late." When he swallowed, it was audible, and I knew whatever he was telling me meant a great deal to him.

"It was almost eleven when he came back. He was a man of his words. That was why I stayed awake expecting him, for he never failed his promise." He added and exhaled.

Just like him, I was sure.

"He returned with his suitcases, but he was messy. His tuxedo was rough, and some parts were torn. I was worried, just like my mom, when he kissed her and lifted me in his arms. He told me, 'I'm here, little man, let's make a wish.'" I heard him inhale deeply and sniffed.