11

The New Deal

The New Deal.

+

Letitia was murdered in cold blood and little ol' me was bitter about stolen lotion. How cold.

I wondered why no one on campus that I know had told me about what happened. I called Natalie but she too was shocked by the terrible news.

"You and I have to look out for one another," was what she said as I completed my nightly routine.

"Sounds great and all, but that's what I thought we'd been doing."

We were supposed to be watching each other's backs since we're all women of the sun, golden godesses and highly sought after in the most sordid of ways. Unfortunately.

"Girl, if a wayward negro or redneck casper freak wants to shoot my ethereal ass, what exactly are you going to do about it," I ask wanting a genuine answer. What could she possibly do? Meaning well doesn't keep you alive when your enemies are determined.

I'm Gemini, angel of lust. I have an army of enemies.

Once off the phone with Natalie, I call my loyal steed, Keon, to make good on his offer of purchased security. I need that extra lock installed and whatever else he'll foot the bill for including pepper spray and a switchblade. The sooner the better.

I sigh tiredly as I fall across my bed, thinking at least I've got this beautiful clean new comforter set without the juices of myself and other people splashed all over it. It's bad for my skin to lay on filth.

"Not again," I sigh as the phone rings from my bed and after letting it ring twice, I check to see who's calling. It's the Professor, poor lil Tink. I think I'm proving to be a little too much for him.

"It's near midnight Stevens. My office hours are 9 to 9."

"You a slippery little thing, it's tough to get hold of you."

"I'm a busy woman," I shrug.

"I'm a busy man, yet somehow I still find time.. Come in to my office now, we have things to discuss."

I check the time on my phone. It's 11:47. Our deal ends tomorrow.

"There's nothing productive to discuss at midnight, Professor.. and I take your exam tomorrow."

"Academia never rests, Ms. Miller. I expect you to arrive within 20 minutes. I'm being gracious considering this call is for your sake."

"How? What did you want to discuss? We could do this over the phone. Professor? ...Hello?"

He hung up.

Oh he's such a bitch for this.

Rolling out of bed, I remove my rollers, fix my hair, and redress into pink sweatpants and a white halter top. Obviously I love pink.