Ch. 10 ~ Meeting

Two days after the visit from Riley and his army pals, Buffy got the gang together in the conference room for a meeting. The group consisted of her, Faith, Willow, Tara, Dawn, Connor, Angel, Spike, Wes, Gunn, and Illyria. Fred was in the hospital looking after Clem and getting to know the staff as well as the research lab where she would be working. It wasn't as state of the art as the W&H lab but she was more than happy with a laptop, a microscope and a few petri dishes. Didn't take much to make the girl happy but then again considering everything she'd been through; it wasn't surprising.

The night before Wes had finally told her what had happened to Lorne and she spent much of the evening and night sobbing in his arms. She knew this meeting was important but she couldn't bear listening to the details. So she had decided to stay in her "happy place" ie the research lab. It was best for the group that she stayed away as well seeing as that she was still recovering from her resurrection and no one wanted any setbacks. Wes would update her with whatever she needed to know.

Meanwhile, back in the large conference room, everyone was sitting around the large table talking softly until Buffy called people to order.

"Alright guys, we obviously don't have a whole lot of time to surmise about what is going on and we must get down to business. Dawn?" She turned to her sister who had a legal pad filled with notes in front of her. She took a swig of her water bottle and a deep breath and started at the top. Connor, who was sitting across from her, raised his eyebrows.

"Well I started by making the phone calls Buffy asked me to; first to Anya in Italy who honestly had nothing to add of importance other than that the SP's hell dimension was one of the worst and how much sex she was having with Xander. I cut the conversation short at that point and told her I had to call Giles." Dawn shuddered at the memory as everyone either rolled their eyes or got disgusted looks on their faces; good ole Anya.

"So calling Giles bore more fruit as he had time with the help of Jenny and others to do some proper research. He corroborated Anya's story about the hell dimension being particularly nasty and that anything could happen there. He also advised that all humans without special powers to stay behind as they may not even survive the trip. I told him that Wesley had one of the SP's books that could conjure up any reading material and he said though that would be helpful; it may compromise our location and our plans."

"Meaning, the SP's would be able to see what we're trying to do." Faith said as a statement of fact.

"Exactly. So that's a calculated risk. Gunn, you still remember the laws and stuff of W&H?" Dawn asked Gunn who nodded.

"Yes, even though we were ejected from the place, I retained all of my knowledge. I may not be able to go with you to hell but perhaps I can somehow circumvent their laws to our advantage."

"That's good. What else, Dawn?" Buffy said.

"Giles also mentioned that a lot of things may change in the different dimension."

"Such as?" Willow asked.

"Well like Illyria for example. She may be tempted to switch sides because she will probably be able to return to her original form as well as all of her power. An Old One on the side of the SP's is a huge advantage for them."

Everyone looked at Illyria, some more worriedly then the others. She hadn't said a word but was taking everything in. The potential of getting her old self back would probably sound like a dream come true and she could become evil again. Illyria looked around the room as everyone was watching her. She knew that as the newest member of this group, she would be scrutinized the most. Before she could say anything in her own defense, Dawn who was still pouring over her notes to make sure she hadn't left anything out, said:

"Illyria isn't the only one we have to worry about; there's also Willow. She's very powerful but what if the SP's get into her like the First Evil did and she goes all black hair and veiny again? That's even worse than Illyria I think." Everyone looked at Willow.

"That's a risk I'm willing to take but I think I'm a lot stronger with my power now and could control from not going all badass evil again." Buffy nodded knowing that they would have to risk it. They needed Willow badly if they had any hope to rescue Lorne and do some damage to the SPs.

"So what's the game plan?" Faith asked impatiently.

"Right now? I think Dawn, Wes, and Gunn should work on getting the kinks out of the rules and regulations for the hell dimension so we don't have any surprises. So more research for you Dawn." Buffy said to Dawn who sighed and nodded.

"No big...watcher junior reporting for duty." She said and saluted her sister who rolled her eyes.

"Meanwhile, we have to figure out how to open the right portal to get us to their hell dimension secretly. There's got to be a way to go there without them knowing we are coming. So if Illyria and Willow could work on that, it would be perfect." Buffy said; both nodded at her and each other.

"I know you don't trust me but I will not let you down." Illyria said for the first time. The others looked at her with measured glances.

"I guess you'll just have to prove yourself when the shit hits the fan." Faith said seriously.

"I think the blue bird will surprise us yet." Spike spoke up for the first time as he and Angel among some others were just observing.

"I hope so." Buffy said looking Illyria in the eyes.

"So who's going and who's staying?" Connor asked.

"You are going back home to your parents before we leave. You're not staying here." Angel answered Connor's question.

"But I can help Dawn with research and I can fight." Connor argued.

"No go. I want you safe where you aren't suspected of anything. And I think you can get back to campus soon anyways. I think Buffy, Spike, Faith, the slayers, Willow, Illyria, and I are going in. The rest will stay behind and make sure all is well on this end." Angel said as Buffy and the others nodded.

"Now we all have prep work to do. Everyone has their assignments. Get all weapons ready and Faith if you could retch up the training with the slayers up a notch it would be highly appreciated. Other than that, get some rest because the next week or so will be tough. We're going to war and perhaps this will be the final big one." Buffy breathed out.

"The last apocalypse? Is that even possible for us?" Willow asked as Buffy and the others smiled.

"One can only hope. Ok guys. Meeting adjourned. You know what you got to do. It's still daylight outside so all you flammable guys, use the tunnels." She said with a wink.

People started getting up and stretching and leaving the conference room in clumps. Dawn, Wes, and Gunn were off to the library along with Connor who seemed to have become smitten with Dawn and wanted to help. Willow, Illyria, and Tara went to the house to practice opening the proper portals. Fred had returned by then and watched them and gave them the update on Clem who was healing nicely.

Buffy went back to her own room and lay down on her bed and closed her eyes thinking about the upcoming fight. All of a sudden she felt arms around her and she breathed in deeply because even without seeing who it was she knew; his cologne and scent was one of a kind. She reached around and turned toward him as he pulled her chin up so their eyes met and he kissed her.

"Don't worry Buffy, we'll win this one too and get Lorne back. I have faith; not literally I meant." Angel said as Buffy looked up at him with surprise.

"Faith?"

"I have faith in you, Buffy. You are my hero and I love you so very much."

As he was saying all of that, tears ran down her face. They lay like that for hours. Buffy knew she had a lot to still face but as long as Angel believed in her, that's all she would ever need. Her heart swelled to double its size and strength ran through her veins. She was ready.