Chapert 4 - Let's begin! (Part 2)

Camila was standing in front of her grandfather's headstone as she saw his body being lowered into his grave. Shawn wrapped his arms around her as a way to prevent her from collapsing on the ground in tears.

Ever since her grandfather died she had fallen into a deep depression to the point where her mother had to force her to eat. Camila didn't want to go outside for anything besides school. This was the first time in weeks she'd be somewhere that wasn't school and home.

At school she was quiet and didn't make any friends. The only thing she did was focus on her studies and that was it. Even though Shawn tried to help her but she started to push him away. He tried calling her, going to her house but the only thing she would do was just stare out the window and block his voice out.

"Talk to me." Shawn pleaded.

"I don't want to talk." Camila said without sparing him as much as a look.

"Don't talk, yell, throw things at me or at the wall just... at least look at me." Shawn pleaded. He was hurt for a lot of reasons. But mainly because one of the most important person to him was broken, sad, and all he could do was plead and cry.

After what felt like half an hour of silence she finally spoke as she looked down the window. "When I first got here, I was scared of men, like I would cling to my mom every time I would see one. He changed that. He made me trust that not all men were mean. He made me believe that I was worthy of love and attention, that spilling a little bit of milk wouldn't get me a punch or a slap. He taught me to believe that life could be good." Shawn sighed and looked at her with glassy eyes as he heard some of the things her dad would do to her. Shawn felt like if he ever saw that dude he would punch him so hard that it would be enough to knock his lights out. "What I'm I going to do without him? What if the nightmares continue?" Camila asked through a sob. "I'm alone." Camila concluded with a cry.

"Hey look at me!" Shawn turned her chair around so she could look at him. "You. Are. Not. Alone! You will never be alone. I will always be here for you doesn't matter what! If you're hurting I will be there! Always." Shawn said looking her dead in the eyes to convey that it was true and he would prove it if necessary. Camila nodded and hugged him.

That year was really hard for her but she got through with the help of hers and Shawn's family.

    On the last day of school Camila went to her grandfather's grave after school. She bent down and placed the flowers in front of his headstone.

"I was you were here," She whispered. "I did it, I finished freshman year grandpa or me and Shawn did," Camila laughed. "god he really hates studying," Camila laughed. "mom is doing well, so is grandma. They miss you a lot. I miss you a lot. I walk by the garage door hoping to hear you playing guitar and quietly singing some song in spanish that was created before I was born," Camila laughed as she remembered the sweet memory. "I finally learned that song you used to play for me when I couldn't sleep at night, I'm also teaching Sofi and Aaliyah like you promised. They're doing well, they are attached to the hip." Camila laughed through her tears. "Shawn misses you, like a lot. Sometimes I catch him staring at your old guitar spacing out. I still hadn't managed to play it but at least now I can look at it." Camila looked around her to see countless trees as a breeze hit her. It was May so there was no reason for a breeze but she welcomed it. Sighing she took off her backpack and took out a picture frame of all of them and placed it on top of his  grave. Saying goodbye she walked up to the entrance of the cemetery to find Shawn outside waiting for her.

    "What are you doing here?" Camila was surprised since she didn't tell him where she was going and since he also had practice.

    "Waiting for you. I knew you would want to come here on the last day of school and I wanted to be here for you." Shawn shrugged and hooked her arm around his like a gentleman as they walked home. At that moment Camila knew she was in love with him but was he? He didn't give any signs and the promise at the beginning of the year only proved she was only his friend and nothing else.