III. Her Grave

III. Her Grave

RIN'S POV

"Alright, human." Nichiya, the leader of Exceed Guards commanded gruffly. "You will enter Edolas from here when you know no one is in sight. This is one of the emptiest areas near the human palace. You can return any time, preferably by this evening. Queen Chagot's fondness for you may end up our downfall if you don't return."

"Yes, sir!" I saluted him with a smile on my face as I slipped the hood of the black jacket over my head. Since Extalia was a cheerful place with cats of smaller build than I was, the hooded jacket was the closest thing to a cloak they could fashion in such short time. It felt as if it was only yesterday that I had arrived and caused despair in both Edolas and Extalia even though it had already been two weeks and two days.

"Expose the fact that we are harbouring you to those humans and I will personally escort you to Edolas' executioner." Were Nichiya's parting words before I took to the skies and descended to Edolas with the help of Pextalius' wings. When I had first met Nichiya, he was a little less serious, with funny hand gestures. Now, the fate of their entire kingdom was undetermined after my selfish wish to pay my respects to Princess Rinalia.

It didn't sit well with me that it was Pex's wings I was utilising to fly. It should've been him flying with his own wings, but yet now it was firmly attached to my back as I head down to the land of powerless humans.

When I landed, I could feel magic in the air, but it wasn't stored within the humans. Instead, lachryma with magic infused within it, powered everything within the vicinity from the fountain at the town square to the oven placed outside the bakery. I have to say, I nearly wanted to snag a fresh loaf of bread due to the mouthwatering aroma. I quickly chastised myself for being so greedy and proceeded further into the heart of the busy marketplace.

The marketplace was quieter and less hectic compared to those I had been to with my mother and Aquaria. People milled about with baskets in their hand, decked out in dull-coloured clothes and chattering about in hushed whispers. Was this because of the Princess' death? Had I brought upon that much sorrow in these people's lives?

"Mama, why didn't the Exceed Goddess save our princess?" a small voice asked quietly, but it was the loudest in my ears. I almost had whiplash as I turned around to try and spot the source. It was simple to spot the young brunette child, with vibrant and curious brown eyes and a bright yellow jumpsuit. His mother was next to him, a young lady in her thirties with a faded cream bonnet and a mauve floor length skirt.

"Michael, the Exceed Goddess may be powerful, but things such as resurrection?" she sighs, picking up her child. "It may be out of her league, no matter how strong or powerful she may be."

It could've been averted, if not for me.

"But we all love her!" Michael protests a little too loudly. "The Exceed Goddess can see that but she didn't save our Princess!"

Just like that, the chatter of the crowd died down. Many people hung their heads, whilst some sniffled quietly. The late Princess was indeed a great heir for the throne if this was the reaction of the people. She would have been an excellent Queen if she had invoked such loyalty and emotion from the people. It was all my fault, and I couldn't help but feel myself drown in guilt. What I had done to this Kingdom, to Edolas. It was unforgivable, but what could I do now?

"Hush now, Michael." his mother said gently, even though clearly embarrassed by the attention on her and the reaction she got out of them. "Princess Rinalia was always a sickly lady, even when growing up. Perhaps the Exceed Goddess didn't save her simply to put our Princess out of her misery."

Michael began to weep quietly into his mother's shoulder, deeply saddened by death that occurred two weeks ago. I didn't know whether to step forward to ask, or to just back away. Edolas was still in mourning, and the reaction that had been triggered just by a mere mention of the royal lady's name had already led to such a depressing turn of events.