Chapter 5: Plans Are Formed

"What could tween kids possibly get up to?"

I woke up and found a text on my phone.

Gangstah Guys:

Connor- bring ur wallets and money 2day

Confused, I quickly texted back.

G- why???

It showed he was texting for a while. Until someone answered for him.

America- just trust us

So I grabbed my wallet and put it in my bag, along with the things that I normally bring. I ran downstairs to have breakfast.

'It's the last week. The last week before summer punishment ends' That's all that I could think about as I walked into school.

I got to school exactly when I was supposed to, and walked right in.

"Johnson. Welcome back to your finel week. Head to the classroom." The secretary gave me the same directions everyday.

I headed down the hall thinking about my project. It was almost finished. I had written it out and practiced the oral part. I just needed to finish my slideshow.

As I opened the door I saw America, Connor, Simón and Lucas. America was grinning. Evily.

"Welcome back. How was your two days of freedom?" America asked, still happy.

"Fine. Yours?

"Glad you asked. Mine was fine. Mom's new boyfriend was annoying, but otherwise it wasn't bad. Simón's was chill. Pretty sure he wrote 50 something emo songs about his failed love life. Connor just did a lot of babysitting." She explained. All in one breath.

"And you were told all of this?" She laughed. Evil.

"Nope. Just...figured it out." I looked at Connor and Simón. They simply shrugged. Guess it was true.

"Cool. What happened to me?" She slyly grinned, obviously she was good at whatever this was.

"You spent half of Saturday watching Riverdale. You secretly like it, more than you're willing to admit. The other half was spent with your sister and her boyfriend. Then on Sunday you were on Instagram an annoying amount of time watching Reels. Is that about right?"

I was speechless. She was absolutely correct.

"How do you do that?"

"A detention regular never reveals her secrets." America smirked. I know I've said it too many times, but evil.

Soon our secretary, we did find out that she was the secretary eventually, came in.

"Have either of you seen or heard from Julia? She's late, which is weird for her. And against the rules." She stared at us, probably hoping some sort of message would sink in.

Then we sat there. Until after over 15 minutes Julia ran into the classroom, looking frantic and shaken. Her hair looked as though it was soaking wet, but as she came to school it somewhat dried.

"The people in front said..." The secretary cut her off.

"Julia. You were late. That's a no-no. Do not do it again." She looked to Julia for closure. She shrugged.

"Yeah, fine. Whatever." The secretary sarcastically remarked, and sighed, not happy with this answers but realizing it was all she was going to get.

"Okay then. Today will be the same as every other day. You should be finishing up your projects, as you will be presenting them to us on Friday. Now we will head to the library." We all got up and followed her.

Soon we got to the library, after a creepy looking walk behind her, and sat down at our regular spot (the round table). The secretary left us to work.

"So, Julia. Where were you this fine morn'?" America asked, looking at Julia intently. Probably trying to figure it out on her own. The blonde haired girl glanced around.

"I was...busy. Mom needed help." Julia picked at her nails.

"Right. Well, you all got the text, right?" She looked around the table. Julia, Simón, Lucas and I nodded.

"Okay, so you brought your wallets?" America continued, pulling her own wallet out.

I reached into my jacket pocket, pulling my wallet out. Simón partially pulled his beanie off to reveal a blue and red wallet. Julia pulled a small dark purple bag out of her shorts pocket. Connor grabbed a checkered Vans wallet out of his pocket.

"You're probably wondering why you were asked to bring all of your money today." Connor began. I began to realize that him and America must have something cooked up. "And we'll get to that. Where have you always wanted to go?" He asked, completely changing the topic.

I thought for a moment. If I could go anywhere in the world, where would I go? So I thought of the last place I went with my grandma. "San Francisco."

"Okay, Julia." Connor asked, looking to her.

"Hollywood." She replied without looking up.

"Great, Simón. Where do you want to go?"

"California, I guess."

"Okay, America. Hollywood or San Francisco?"

"San Francisco." She replied determined and smiley. "How about you?" She asked in return.

"San Francisco. Lucas?"

Lucas, looked to me. I guess he didn't want to talk. 'San Francisco' he mouthed to me.

"He wants to go to San Francisco." I answered. Connor seemed to question this, but America moved on.

"Perfect." America announced. She stood up and climbed onto the table. "What if I told you." She smiled, happier than I'd ever seen her. "You're going to San Francisco!" She yelled, as loud as she could without alerting any adults, like they announce "You're going to Hollywood" on American Idol.

I looked to Lucas who, like me, seemed thoroughly confused.