Chapter 11: The City

"when you run out of ideas, just parody something"

"C'mon, let's go somewhere." America urged us all, sitting on the beds and couch, not talking or moving.

"Where?" Simón asked, open to the idea, but unsure if he wanted to go the same place as her.

"Anywhere?" She told him, "We're in a city full of things to do, we need to get out of this boring hotel."

"But I'm so tired from the trip." Connor whined, yawning to prove his point.

"You are so different when you're tired." America plainly told him. "If you want you can stay here, but I'm going out and about. Who's coming with me?"

I looked to Lucas, who was being his shy and quiet self. He shrugged, "Lucas and I are coming." I told her, standing up.

"I guess I'll go." Julia said, stuffing her hands violently in her hoodie's pockets.

"Alright, we're all going except Connor." She turns to face the tired friend. "Are you sure you don't want to go?"

"Positive." He looks at America, who mouths something but he shakes his head. She rolls her eyes, disappointed, but tries to hide it when she turns back to face all of us waiting to go.

"Great, let's get out of here."

Getting up, Simón and Julia walk over to the door. Simón opens it and Julia walks out, putting the bright hoodie's hood over her messy hair. Lucas followed me quietly after them, with America staying behind.

I turned around to see what she was doing, "Please come?"

"No, sorry I'm just so tired. I'll go out with you tomorrow."

"Alright," She leaned down to where he was on the bed and kissed him, turning to walk out the door and join us in the hallway. I quickly turned around and jumped to where everyone else was standing, waiting. She came out, smiling slightly. "Let's go."

Leading us down the hallway, we all got in an elevator that was already almost filled to capacity.

Inside a family with four kids stared at us. Trying to figure out if there was a parent, probably. Luckily Simón looked old enough and Julia and Lucas looked young enough, especially in the outfits America had helped them with. So they went back to minding their own business, and stopped paying any attention to us.

Eventually the elevator made it to the first floor, and we were free from the small room that somewhat stank. In the lobby, we quickly made our way to the front doors.

Out in the city, it was cold and foggy. Late afternoon was seemingly a busy time, as cars, trolleys and muni cars made their way around. "So, where to?" I asked, looking to a bright eyed and glowing faced America.

"Well, there are a few choices, but I say we just explore and go wherever life takes us." Walking out into the middle of the street, she turned for us to follow her. "You guys coming?"

Looking for any moving cars, and finding none, I started walking across this street. Julia, Simón and Lucas with me. They made it to the other side of the street, but I tripped on an uneven piece of the road.

Wearing jeans and a jacket, I didn't scrape anything. Quickly, I got up and began to walk back across the street.

"Watch out!" Simón yelled, and I turned to look to my left. A large SUV type of car was charging, quickly moving, about to hit me. Shocked, I froze up like a deer in headlights.

Crash!

I hit the ground, but not in a hard way. I'd landed on something, not soft, but definitely not the asphalt of the road.

Opening my eyes to see what had happened, I saw that I was on the island sort of thing in the middle of the intersection. Underneath me was Simón, breathing heavily. Suddenly, I realized what had happened.

"Are you okay?" He suddenly asked, looking at me concerned.

"Yeah, I think. Yeah, I'm fine."

"Good,"

"Thanks." I replied, awkwardly. I felt weird all of the sudden, it was like he wasn't just Simón anymore, and I couldn't figure out why.

"No problem, I don't want you to just be killed. That would be a real buzzkill to this trip."

"Definitely." He started laughing at his own little sarcastic joke, and soon I joined in.

"Are you two done?" America suddenly asked, "It's getting sort of late, and it looks like it might rain. I want to do something on our first day here."

"Right, sorry." I told her, "You getting around the city is so much more important than my safety."

America rolled her eyes, smiling slightly. "C'mon, get up."

Simón stood up, and grabbed my hand helping me up. I smiled, thanking him with my eyes. "Alright, where to now?" I asked, looking at America who was holding a map that I guess she found at the hotel.

"Well, you've been here before. Where do you recommend?"

"Hmm..." I thought about it for a moment, "I actually don't know, my grandma used to live here and I'd mostly just be at her apartment when I visited."

America groaned, worrying that she wouldn't get to see anything cool.

"Oh, wait. There's one place, I guess we could go there."

"Where?" She quickly yelled.

"Fishermans Warf, Pier 39," I told her, and she wrinkled her nose.

"A warf?"

"Listen, I know it doesn't sound that cool, but it is. I think."

"Fine, it's something. Let's go!" Running off down the street, holding her map in front of her face.

I looked to the other three, who just shrugged and we set off running after them.