Catching up

Alfred's POV

Well now I've done it, he seems pretty mad at me. I should probably follow him and apologize...Just as I'm about to go after him I'm interrupted by a hand on my shoulder.

"My king, can you please follow me? You still haven't finished your work!" I hear Yao's voice state in a slightly irritated tone. "B-but I-". "No buts Alfred! I asked you to finish everything this morning because I'll need it today! Now come with me!" I'm dragged away by a infuriated Chinese.

Somebody save me from this work. Aw man this was really the wrong time to annoy Arthur...

~Meanwhile~

Arthur's POV

I can't believe him sometimes. Getting used to all this is still hard for me but him being a jerk makes it even harder. I don't even understand how I came to like this guy in the first place.

What has destiny gotten me into...

As I'm about to reach our room I'm stopped by a deep voice resonating in the halls coming from behind me. "Arthur?"

I turn around to see Francis. Great, looks like he followed me, now I have to deal with him. "What is it your highness? Is there anything you need my help with?" I ask smiling as sweetly as possible.

"Oh no, I just thought we could maybe catch up before meeting with the others..." Francis says scratching his head and avoiding eye contact.

Too bad he's the king of diamonds guess I'll have to deal with him. "Sure, let's go outside for that!" The last thing I want is to be alone in a room with him. He walks up to me and offers me an arm, which I hesitantly accept.

"Kind of hard to lead the way when I'm the one hanging onto your arm, don't you think?" I question to which he responds with a chuckle. "We'll make it I'm sure of it and you can still navigate us by just telling me which direction to go." With that we start walking towards the garden of the castle me leading the way.

Once we reach our destination he strikes a conversation. "So how come you became the queen?" he asks as if it was a choice or something. "Well he touched my hand and the symbol of Spades made itself prominent on my hand. After that I didn't really have a choice now did I?" I state with a little bit of sass at the end which earns laughter from Francis.

"That is very true! There is no choice in this matter. It's not the life everyone thinks it is," he says seeming a little bit sad. I didn't know he was that kind of guy. Being emotional and all I thought he was just a flirt. We fall silent for a while just walking through the garden.

"D-...Does it really hurt you that much, that you didn't find true love in your queen?" I question feeling a little pity for the French, yet not making eye contact and staring at the ground. I can feel his eyes on me.

"You're quite the observant one, wouldn't have expected any less from you Arthur!" he replies. "You know I miss the times when we were young and there was nothing like this royalty bothering us. I still remember how your brothers always teased you and you were always pouting and looking like you were about to cry," He continues. Thanks for reminding me.

He suddenly stops and stands in front of me, placing a hand on my cheek. "Yet then and now the only thing on my mind is how adorable you always look. Even when you're mad you're so precious!" he explains making direct eye contact and smiling at me. "To think you became the queen of somebody else," his eyes reflect sadness and hurt.

I'm completely frozen. Not understanding what is happening I just stand there staring at him in utter confusion. "May I see the mark on your hand? I know it's weird, but I just don't wanna believe it's true till I have seen it with my own eyes," he requests. I think for a moment.

Taking off my left glove I reveal the mark. I normally don't wear gloves but Yao and Alfred talked me into it saying, that I could at least wear the gloves if I'm not going to wear the dresses.

Francis takes my hand and kneels down before me kissing the top of it just like Alfred did when we first met. I'm caught off guard by this sudden gesture. "Are you able to use magic as well?" he questions after getting up and having changed from a sad expression to a curious one.

"Yes, but only a certain kind of magic," I explain. "Could you maybe show it to me?" he requests. "I don't know it's a little weird and-" I begin but am interrupted. "Then I demand you to show me as the king of diamonds!" he declares with a cheeky smile.

I'm a little shaken by that and get nervous. "Fine then!" I exclaim and kneel down. There is a little daffodil that's withered away in the shadows of the rose bushes surrounding it. I put my palm over it and focus as light erupts from my hand and once I remove it you can see a lot of daffodils beside the original one, which are now in full bloom.

"What a fitting ability!" he remarks while smiling. Getting up he once again offers me his arms. I once again accept and we make our way towards a bench and sit down. He sits down once again ignoring personal space. He really like to get close. We talk about stories from our childhood, which makes me loosen up a little.

Knowing him for a long time I know he's not a bad guy, I just don't get why he's so... I don't know...touchy all of the sudden. As I think this I'm pulled out of my train of thoughts by a hand under my chin. He makes me look directly into his eyes.

"You never realized how much I admired you when we were young. You were always in your own little world as a child and you still are. Looking at you, you haven't changed. I can't help but feel drawn towards you. Thinking maybe that you showing me your mark would make me realize I can't have you I had you remove your glove. It didn't help. Arthur from the day we've met you peaked my interest. You were that short messy blonde with those mesmerizing green
eyes always playing alone in the forest, getting worked up quickly but most importantly you always loved to read and tell me about the stories you read and how they may be true. You were so passionate about it, your eyes were glowing with curiosity. I loved that expression of yours. I just can't get over you!" Francis announces.

I take a moment to process what he just said. "I'm not a girl though Francis, nor am I as good as you describe me! Don't get me wrong I'm flattered that you think this way about me and all, but I can't-" I start but once again am interrupted by him grasping one of my hands and putting it on his heart. His heart is beating very fast.

"My emotions are real and I don't care what your gender is I love you for the person you are!" he practically yells.

"I can't Francis," I answer. "Why? Please at least give me a reason!" A reason... I don't know...It's just that when I think about love I think of Alfred but I'm not sure if that's true love yet. Also I don't wanna say that to him. As I'm thinking about a reason he sighs and puts a hand around my waist. I slightly flinch by that action. He begins to draw closer as he is still holding on to one of my hands. I try to push him away with my free hand but am unsuccessful.

Just as we're inches apart from each others faces I close my eyes and continue to push him away. Suddenly I feel him getting away from me. I open my eyes to see Alfred standing beside him. "Looks like at the end of the day you still need my help! This time you can't complain though cause I did help you in time," he states grinning while holding Francis by his collar.

"As for you I would appreciate it if you never try anything on my queen again," he says to Francis who seems uncomfortable with the situation but mostly sad it didn't work out the way he hoped it would.

"Oh look at the time! We should all go prepare for tea time! It's only minutes away!" Alfred explains taking my hand and dragging me off. He orders a guard to escort Francis and continues to drag me to our room in silence.