Chapter 20: New Beginnings

Freyer POV

As I was finishing up my morning rehab, getting ready for meditation and Tai was watering his flower garden. We heard the door to the house open and we both turned. Only to see Yang holding my violin, with both of her arms. She then took a moment to inspect the robotic one she had gotten from Atlas before looking over to me and smiling. "Would you mind playing for us Frey?" She said holding out my violin to me. I walked to her smiling. "Tell you what. While you two get started i'll tune her up and get ready so you can listen all you want on your break." She nodded and handed me the case. I sat down at the Elm tree and tuned the violin while Tai and Yang got started with some simple exercises and stretches to get her used to her new arm. About half an hour later Yang was exhausted and laying on the ground panting and I figured now was a better time than any. So I pulled the bow across the strings playing one long note to get their attention before jumping into the music, as the Violin sung Tai was entranced and Yang had simply closed her eyes and smiled to ensure she didn't miss a single note. I played for a while before playing the final note and pulling the instrument away from me. "I think that's all we have time for at the moment." I smiled as Yang turned her head to me and blew me a kiss. I responded by doing the same as she got up ready to begin again. "Holy crap." Tai said. "I knew Yang said you were good but I didn't expect that." I laughed as I stood up and got ready for my afternoon rehab sets.

A few days later after Yang got a lecture on fighting smarter not harder with Tai citing me and her fights at the Vytal festival as evidence I approached them. "Hey guys. I actually have something to tell you." I said refusing to meet their eyes. They looked at each other before Tai asked me. "Does this have anything to do with why you feel guilty for what happened to Yang." I nodded and Yang spoke up. "Frey, you were fighting goliath's at the time. There was nothing you could have done." "But there was." I interrupted her. "If I had just used my semblance I could have kept you from getting hurt. And not the doppelganger that you think is my semblance." I looked to Yang and asked her. "Think back to whenever I talked about my doppelganger. Did I ever state clearly that it was my semblance?" Her eyes seemed to widen in realization. "I never did. Because it's not. It's merely an ability my semblance makes possible. That being the ability to take the very space within 50 yards of me, and warp and change it however I see fit. However in the past when I told people about this they became scared, and stabbed me in the back as soon as they could out of that fear. So I in turn grew scared of telling anyone. Soon after I stopped telling people entirely I just showed them my doppelganger, one of my favorite abilities, and let them come to their own conclusions. Afraid that the people I cherished would turn and stab me in the back just like the others. I could have crushed those goliaths into tiny pebbles and there would have been nothing they could have done to stop me. But my fear of being hurt and betrayed kept me from doing so. I could have been by your side. I could have kept you from getting hurt. But I chose not to out of fear." I said dropping to the ground in tears. Soon enough Yang's arms wrapped around me as she held my head to her chest. "It's okay Frey. I don't blame you for that. I'm just glad that you finally opened up to me. That you finally trusted me enough to tell me this. I love you, and you can be sure that i'm going to be with you all the way through this and beyond." She said before lifting my chin and giving me a loving kiss. After taking a moment to calm down Tai spoke up. "Well how about we see what your semblance can really do then?" I nodded before sitting down cross legged and closing my eyes. I then forced the earth around me to come up and entomb me as I reached out with my semblance seeing in my mind's eye every single detail within 50 yards. I saw Tai's confused face and sent pillars of earth at him. While he dodged I warped the space around me once again causing light to no longer reflect off me effectively making me invisible. I then sent waves of fire and ice towards Tai as he dodged towards my earth shield. I quickly changed the simple dirt to solid steel as his fist came into contact with it. I saw his eyes widen and I formed spears of steel out of the iron and carbon particles in the air to fly at him. Each spear that missed him slammed into my shield making it thicker and stronger. As he dodged through the spears he didn't hesitate to send barrage after barrage of blows against my shield eventually breaking it. When it collapsed he stood ready to swing at me again but stopped as he saw nothing in the tomb. "What!" He called out and I made the scattered steel create a second skin around everything but his head preventing him from moving. I then brought down the distortion that was making me invisible. "Keep in mind that if I wanted you dead. It wouldn't have even taken as long as that fight was. I could have increased the amount of gravity on you crushing you under your own weight, or created a black hole and allowed it to suck you in." He shuttered as I put that thought in his mind.