Singing In The Shower

Demi P.O.V

Mo and I wash up the pots, pans and cutlery that were used for tonight's dinner. The handles feel slimy and cold from the fishy residue, whilst the knives and forks have a stagnant stench of salty sea creatures. Even worse, we have no fairy liquid to get rid of the grime - water will have to make do.

I've been putting off having a shower ever since we moved into the castle yesterday. Shane and Mo told me that the water wasn't unbearably cold, but you may as well be washing your hair in the rain.

I grab my red towel that's slung across the bottom of my bed frame. Giving it a quick shake out, I whip it over my shoulder and grab another pair of underwear to change into.

"Can someone pump the shower for me, please?"

"I don't mind." AJ offers. "Unless you want one of the girls to do it?"

Hollie and Giovanna went back up to the lookout for some fresh air before bed, and Victoria was feeling a little nauseous after dinner, so put her head down for an early night. I know Beverly struggles with the contraption too because it hurts your arms after a couple of minutes.

"It's okay. Are you ready to go now?"

"Sure. It's not like there's anything else to do."

AJ and I head to the washroom. "Anyone in there?" I knock on the door as I don't fancy walking in on a stark-naked Shane Ritchie.

No one answers.

"It stinks in here," AJ scrunches his nose up. He closes the bathroom door and walks over to the lever in the corner of the room. The washroom is a little smaller than the boiler room, making it the smallest room in the castle. It's not like everyone is in here at the same time though, so I guess it works out.

The bathtub is a thin rectangular shape with grot surrounding the bottom of the basin and mould growing off of the shower curtains. "They could get some Mr Muscle on this bath," I laugh.

"And a new shower curtain wouldn't go amiss." AJ chuckles. "Let me take your towel whilst you're in the shower. It means you won't get it all dirty on the floor."

I slip my shoes and socks off and place them on the floor next to the tub. I then step over the side, draw the shower curtain, and begin to undress. "I really hope that this shower is warm."

"I think Jordan put some more logs in the burner earlier, so you should be fine."

Once I've stripped from my underwear, I pass my clothes around the shower curtain and throw them down next to my shoes. "Okay, you can start the water now."

"You ready?"

"This is going to be freezing," I whine. "I'm ready."

AJ begins to pump the contraption and water gushes down from the watering can. I squeal at the initial bitterness, but the water becomes lukewarm after a couple of seconds. We have no soap and a limited amount of shampoo and conditioner, so I scrub my armpits with the palms of my hands and hope for the best.

"Vernon got in the shower earlier," AJ giggles. "Since he's 6 foot 5, his head comes up over the top of the curtain. It was a bit weird when he was scrubbing his bits and I made direct eye contact with him. He has to do some sort of box squat just to get his head under the shower."

"He must have looked like Buddy the elf."

"Like who?"

"Buddy the elf?" I exclaim. "Buddy the elf! Tell me you've seen Elf before!"

"I've never seen it." AJ apologises. "Is it good?"

"The best Christmas film of all time, more like." I begin to scrub the shampoo out of my hair, recycling the soapy water dripping down my body to scrub my armpits and stomach. "Are you not a Christmas film type of person?"

"I listen to Christmas songs more than I watch movies."

"Okay. So what's your favourite Christmas song?"

"Mariah Carey - I'll I want for Christmas is You."

"That is SUCH a banger," I approve of his music tastes. "MAkE mY wIsh coME trUeEeee,"

AJ laughs hysterically at my awful attempt at Mariah's voice. "Do I get to witness your shower singing?"

"You do. Count yourself lucky because you've got VIP tickets!" I joke as I wash the remaining conditioner out of my hair. "Okay, you can stop the water now. I'm all done."

The gushing water becomes a light trickle, and then cuts out all at once.

"So how do you wanna do this?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I have your towel here."

Crap. I never took it off of him.

"Oh yeah. You can just chuck it over the top of the curtain."

"Okay. Ready? 3, 2, 1-,"

AJ lobs my red towel over the top of the curtain and I catch it before it lands in the tub. I wrap myself up like a spring roll and go to draw the curtain back.

"Wait!" AJ calls. "Let me turn around first."

"I have my towel on, don't worry."

"I know," He shrugs. "But I still like to be a gent. I don't know what you're comfortable with."

Once AJ has turned around, I slip out of the tub and pull my fresh bra and pants on, followed by my red trousers, shirt, and long-sleeved grey fleece. I brush some knots out of my hair with my fingers and wrap my towel around my hair. "I'm decent. You can turn back around now."

AJ spins back around and looks over to me. "Was it as bad as you thought?"

"It wasn't actually, but Jordan could have been more generous with the logs."

AJ and I exit the washroom and walk back into the living quarters, where I hang my towel over the door of the phone box for the wind to dry it overnight. Next, I dump my dirty washing on my bed, unzip my sleeping bag, and grab my things to get ready for bed.

With my teeth brushed, my face washed - or splashed with water from the watering hole - and water bottle filled, I wish my campmates a goodnight and retire to the not-so-comfy bed that I've been assigned.

"I'll try not to snore tonight," Shane cackles, falling down onto his sleeping bag.

It takes me a while to get to sleep, as I keep giggling at the mental image of Vernon Kay as Buddy the elf - he does have the same cheeky attributes. But with the whistling Welsh wind and rustling of leaves in nearby trees, I fall asleep with a smile across my cheeks.

- - - - -

How did you find this chapter? I don't want to spark their romance too early. When do you think that AJ should first catch feelings for Demi? I will throw a plot twist in at some point too.

This chapter's shout out goes to SmY12345sMy as your comment really made me giggle! And thanks for the great suggestion! Keep them coming! Xx