The Live Trial

Demi P.O.V

We all reach the trial clearing.

"Hello everyone, and welcome to the live trial! Just a reminder that we are live on television, so everybody please mind your language. Boys, go and sit on the right on the red bench. Girls, come and sit on the blue bench."

I perch behind Giovanna on the blue bleachers. Ant and Dec sit on two majestic thrones in the middle, staring down the camera lens with their cue cards in hand.

"Welcome to the live trial everybody. You'll be pleased to know that ... all of you will be taking part!" Ant announces, but it was as expected. "This trial is a battle of Lords versus Ladies; the boys versus the girls. Now you won't be playing for stars in tonight's trial. You will be trying to collect these gold coins." Ant holds up a round, heavyweight piece of gold.

"Are they chocolate!" AJ shouts.

"Unfortunately not! Now there are four rounds throughout the trial and everybody will face one round. Whichever team has collected the most gold coins at the end of the trial . . . will win a banquet tonight!"

I would do anything for food that isn't rice and beans or deer testicle! My mouth even waters at the thought.

"And, the losing team will take part in tomorrow nights Bush Tucker trial!"

There is no way I am taking part in another trial. I mean, they are just revolting! Jordan and I have had our fair share of trials each now, and I am quite happy to pass him the award for most trials completed.

"The first round is called "terror trough". Taking part for the Lords will be ... Shane and Jordan! And taking part for the Ladies will be . . . Hollie and Ruthie!"

My four fellow campmates slide some coloured bibs over their head - blue for the girls, and red for the boys. They stand in front of a trough, full of red gunk and fish guts. "You will have 60 seconds to retrieve as many gold coins from the trough as you can. Once you retrieve a gold coin, place it in the bucket at the end of the trough. However, you can only collect the coins using your mouths."

Eww. I can smell the rotting fish from here.

When the klaxon rings, the four campmates dive their heads inside of the metal pan. They waste no time in swimming their heads about and searching away for the coins. Ruthie emerges immediately with a coin in her mouth and chucks it into the bucket. Equally, Jordan finds a coin, and chucks it in his bucket.

After 45 seconds has passed, we are all screaming our teammate's names. Hollie and Ruthie are storming through and are chucking things in the bucket every couple of seconds. The boys are considerably slower.

"That's time up!" Dec announces. "Make your way over here with your buckets and we will count out your coins."

The boys manage to gain three coins, whilst the girls only got two.

"It's okay! It is still all to play for. This next round is called 'critter cages'. Taking part for the Lord's will be . . . Vernon! And taking part for the Ladies will be . . . Victoria!"

Me and the girls encourage Victoria as she climbs into a small wire box, laying on her back. "Victoria and Vernon. You both have 60 seconds to unscrew as many coins from the threads as possible. However, you will not be alone in the cages. Wardens. Take it away!"

The wardens pour in a pitcher-full of cockroaches, large mealworms, and spiders the size of Halloween decorations. They scuttle all across Victoria's face and down her clothes before the box is even locked shut.

"You can start on the klaxon."

When the klaxon fires, Victoria and Vernon get to work. Vernon takes a short lead, but Victoria slowly catches up. They use their hands and rapidly twist the coins off of the threads, and post them through the hole and out of the box. I have to admire Vernon's work. He seems very skilled in using his fingers.