Fort Locks

Demi P.O.V

The klaxon fires.

I rush over to the left-hand wall. There are 12 uniquely shaped holes. I reach up to the one in the top left and shove my hand straight into the box.

My hand submerges into a box of cold, viscous fluid. "It feels like custard!" I scream.

"Custard!" Ant mocks. "I love custard. I might have some tonight."

"You guys are horrible!" I moan. "I would do anything for some cake and custard right now."

I grab the chain from the bottom of the box. It has a yellow tag on the end of the key. I drag the chain across the room and try the key on one of the yellow grates. It doesn't work on the first grate, but it does on the second.

The padlock comes off and the grate opens. There's a black film in-front of the hole, so I can't see what I'm about to reach my hand into.

I shove my arm inside and feel around for a star. My fingers scrape across a metal screw. "You need to unscrew the star off of the thread."

I manage to get the first star and put it into my bag. When I withdraw my hand from the box, it's covered in a green sticky liquid.

"Onto star number two!"

In the next hell hole, I push my hand into a box of offal, which isn't too bad other than the smell. I grab the chain, which is blue, and run across to the other side of the room. The first grate that I try opens up.

"Be careful in this one," Dec warns me. "There are water dragons in there."

"Aagh ... eek ... AHH!" I scream. I don't listen to Dec at all and throw my hand into the hole. A layer of scaly skin rubs against my palm whilst I unthread the star. I manage to claim it and shove it into my star bag.

"That's 2 stars in 2 minutes!" Ant calls. "You're flying through."

I manage to claim a third and fourth star. "Onto your fifth one now! You're on a roll."

I shove my hand into another hell hole full of offal and grab a chain from the bottom. Finding the chains is super easy as it's at the bottom of each box - getting the stars off of the threads is the hard job.

Red chain. Red lock.

I get the grate open.

"Now we're being serious, Demi! Be slow in this one."

I break the black seal and shove my hand into the wall. As I'm turning the star counter-clockwise, a furry animal of some sort brushes against the back of my hand.

"What is that!" I squeal, withdrawing my hand from the box. "Why is it furry!"

"There are rats in there."

I slowly peek my fingers back in, and when the rats have cleared the way, I continue turning the star.

"You aren't wasting any time!" Ant gasps. "That's the fifth star!"

Shoving my hand into a hell hole full of fish guts, I grab the chain and yank it hard. It has a blue tag, so I run-up to the blue grate in the top right corner. It opens.

A mixture of awful smells begins to circulate through the air.

A trap door above my head swings open, and out from the ceiling drops a tonne of fish guts. It pours into my hair and crawls down my arms, dripping down the back of my top and over my lips.

"FOR HEAVENS AND LORDS!" I shout. "I STINK!"

My hand twists off a 6th star and I pop it into my bag. When I'm running to the other wall, I slip on the slime on the floor and go flat on my bum.