Chapter 12- The Truth

Luke's POV

I don't know how long the three of us were sitting on the ground, tears dripping down our faces as the reality came crashing down on us.

Nick took Julie.

How could I let this happen? I thought as my whole body shook. How could I let him take her like that? I should have been quicker. I should have insisted on walking her to the house, no matter how annoyed she got with me.

And now she was gone.

The guys and I sat on the pavement, silently crying as we embraced each other. The gravel was digging into my knees through my pants, but I didn't care. All I could think about was the fact that Julie was gone, and who knows what Nick will do to her? Who knows why he wants her?

"Luke? Alex? Reggie? What's wrong?"

My head shot up and I saw Ray, standing a little ways away. He was obviously on his way to the studio. Alex, Reggie and I helped each other up and quickly wiped our tears. I took in a long, shaky breath and did my best to smile.

"We're f-fine," I said, cringing at the way my voice cracked. Ray walked over to us, his eyes narrowed. 

"No, you're not. All three of you are crying. What's wrong?" He asked. "And don't even think about lying. I'm a dad, I'm like a human lie detector."

"No, really, we're-"

"Alex," Ray interrupted. "The truth. Now."

The guys and I looked at each other and sighed collectively. There was no way around it.

"All right," Alex said quietly. "But you may need to sit down."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reggie's POV

I watched as Ray slowly sat down on the couch, his expression unreadable.

"You three are-are ghosts?" He asked quietly. Alex and I exchanged looks. I looked back at Ray and slowly nodded. Ray looked like he was about to pass out at any second. 

"How is that possible?" He said.

"Apparently, when people die, they sometimes come back as ghosts because they have unfinished business," Alex explained. "Once we've completed our unfinished business, we can finally cross over." Ray rubbed his temples with his fingers, obviously overwhelmed by the information.

"So, do you three know what your unfinished business is?" He asked. I shook my head.

"No, and we don't want to." Ray looked at me quizzically.

"Why?" He asked.

"We don't want to cross over," Alex said. "We want to stay here, and keep making music with Julie."

Ray nodded, staring at the wall. "That's... nice," he said finally, still in shock. "So, what's the deal with the whole holograms thing?" 

"That's just a story," Alex said. "The projector is fake. People can only see us when we play with Julie, but she can see us all the time."

"So how can I see you now?" Ray asked.

"It seems our powers have... evolved," Alex replied. Ray squinted.

"Wait. So all the times I heard music and Julie claimed to be on FaceTime- you guys were really there?" Alex and I looked at each other sheepishly.