9: I'll be better for you

Lee Yuna

Ever since this "being a drum major" thing have started, I haven't been wasting any time during breaktime or even after dismissal so that I could practice more because I still can't catch the baton but there were some improvements, like how I'm able to spin it around without it slipping from my hands.

The only thing I have to learn now is to catch the baton and be one with it, I still can't help but run from it every time I see it falling.

Prof. In also suggested that I use sandals on the day of the performance to add a little height and make me look taller so I started practicing wearing heels, in that way I'll get used to walking with it.

Now I have to learn how to catch the baton while trying hard not to fall, trip or just another messy accident that will bring me humiliation, stress and trauma.

And every day that passes by, brings me closer and closer to the school district sports day.

~~~~~

"Is that your new majorette?" The principal disappointedly asked Prof. In who was keeping her head low

Doing my usual routine, I was practicing with the baton before classes started, I didn't notice that Prof. In and the principal was passing by so I casually threw the baton upwards like I normally do.

Of course, like the usual, I failed to catch it but when it landed, the scepter came off and went on rolling on the ground and when I picked it up, the principal was right in front of me, watching me try to place back the scepter from where it came off.

My eyes widened to see him, we were both shocked and we both had our eyes wide open, him being shocked because the chosen drum major doesn't know how to catch the baton, while I was shocked because I just witnessed the scepter coming off of the baton which was passed down to all the drum majors of the school for centuries and I just casually BROKE IT.

"I promise you sir that this is the first time she messed up" Professor In said, trying to make me look good

"But she's throwing the baton like a boomerang and now look at what she did, she broke it... get a new drum major, or else I'll be after you" He threatened

"But sir, we only have A WEEK to practice..." Prof. In protested

"Figure it out, for now, I'll confiscate the baton and repair it somewhere" He said and snatched the baton in my hands.

Now I have A LOT of problems, one is I cannot catch the baton and two is what will I use to practice with.

~~~~~

Me and my friends were passing by the cafeteria, when we overheard girls talking shit about us.

"I heard that the principal confiscated the baton"

"Who's gonna be our drum major now?"

"I don't know, Prof. In should've picked us instead"

"Yea right her students are all losers"

Hearing those words form them, it's hurtful that they think very lowly of us, anger and range made my body shaky and my mouth turned dry.

"HEY how could you say that! Take it back" I shouted and tried to attack them but my friends held me back. To avoid a quarrel

"Its true, bug face" They snapped back

I tried to break free from my friends' grip just to give them a slap, just one slap would make me satisfied but my friends were too strong, especially Cheer, she hugged me from behind so I couldn't break free.