22. Torture

(Credit to J.K Rowling for some of the dialogue in the chapter).

Delilah's POV:

The past few weeks have been absolutely bliss, despite everything that's going on around us. First of all, Indie said her first words:

I was woken up by someone shaking me and calling my name.

"Lilah! Lilah!" whispered-shouted Draco.

"What?" I asked, confused as to why he's woken me up in the dead of night.

"I think Indie's about to say her first word!" he exclaimed.

"What?! Really?" I shot up in the bed to see Draco sitting there with Indie right in front of him.

"Yeah, she's getting so close", he said.

He turned his attention back to Indie and started repeating "Dada" over and over again for her.

She mumbled a few inaudible words but then she finally said it.

Her first proper word.

"Da...da".

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god! Did you hear that?! She said my name! My name!" he shouted, not even attempting to hide his excitement.

He picked her up and started flying her around the room in his arms, making her, and me, giggle.

"Dada!" she said again, obviously enjoying his reaction.

"Thats right!" Draco grinned, "I'm your dada!"

My heart burst with love and pride seeing how happy they both were. My beautiful daughter and my handsome boyfriend.

I'll admit I was a little sad that she didn't say 'mama' but I was so happy for Draco, especially considering he missed so many milestones in the first four months of her life because I was too much of a chicken to tell him about her. So, in some ways, I was very glad that that her first word was 'dada'.

And then her very first steps:

"Draco!" I called to him, "Draco, hurry. Come quick!"

He swung the bathroom door open and ran over, as I was sat on the floor. "Are you okay?" he asked, concerned, "What happened? What's wrong?"

"I'm okay, but look", I pointed over to Indie who was standing, holding herself up against the bed. "I thinks she's gonna try and walk!" I exclaimed.

"No way!" Draco said. He quickly walked over to the bed and sat down right next to her.

He grabbed hold of her and angled her towards me. I stretched my arms out as far as I could and started calling for her.

"Come on Indie, come to mama!" I encouraged her. She then started walking towards me, but with Draco still firmly holding onto her so she didn't fall.

After she looked steady, Draco let go of her. And, to both of our surprise, she continued to walk towards me without anyone holding on to her.

"Yay! Go Indie!" Draco cheered as he quickly rushed to my side as Indie stumbled towards us.

"That's right, you can do it Indie!" I said, arms still wide.

Finally, she reached us and fell into my arms. "Woohoo!" cheered Draco and I, so excited that our daughter just took her first steps. I can honestly say that I've never been prouder of anything in my entire life.