Chapter Fourteen

"Hey JJ... um, I was wondering if..." Josie trailed off into the phone. "If what?" He questioned. "If you wanted to come over? I needed help setting up this new nightstand I bought." Josie asked.

The line went silent for a few moments, before JJ heard him clear his throat. "Sure, yeah sure." He said. "Okay, you can let yourself in when you get here. No ones home." Josie said, holding back a smile.

"Okay, see you soon." JJ said, hanging up the phone. Knowing that he was coming over, left a smile on Josie's face, and she hadn't felt like this in a while.

Josie stood up and walked over to her mirror, taking in her appearance. Her hair was a little messy, and she had on clothes from yesterday.

She quickly went into her closet and was deciding on an outfit that seemed casual, but still made an impact. Josie grabbed a matching cotton short and tank top set and threw it on.

Josie went into the bathroom and ran a brush through her hair, and she heard the front door open. She put her brush on the bathroom counter and walked out of her room standing at the top of the stairs.

"Hey." Josie said, watching JJ walk up the stairs. "Hi." He said with a smile. "So where's this nightstand?" He asked.

"Well in my room, where else?" Josie asked. "Oh jeez, my bad." JJ said holding up his hands, and Josie laughed. "It's too complicated for me to do on my own." Josie added.

Josie squatted down on grabbing the instructions off the floor, and messed with a few screws. JJ came over and sat down next to her.

"Okay so first we have to connect these two pieces, and then those two pieces." Josie said, pointing to the parts of the nightstand.

"Okay, I'll hold this while you screw." JJ said, getting onto his knees and grabbing the wood piece. He held it up, as Josie screwed in the screws.

"You know, you didn't need to use this nightstand as an excuse to invite me over. I would've came regardless." JJ said, scooting a little closer to Josie.

"Oh shut up." Josie said with a laugh, giving his shoulder a slight nudge. "Or maybe I just needed help with my nightstand." Josie shrugged, turning her attention back to the project.

"Oh yeah? So you wouldn't mind if I did this?" JJ asked. JJ reached out, and touched her temple, and moved her hair back behind her ear, sending a shiver through her body.

"Nope." Josie lied, continuing to fiddle with the screws. "Or this?" He asked, bringing his face closer to hers. She could feel his warm breath on her neck, and she closed her eyes and melted into his touch.

Josie turned to face him and looked down at his lips, then into his bright blue eyes. "Can I kiss you?" JJ whispered, Josie nodded her head eagerly.

Josie watched him lean in, and she closed her eyes, awaiting his lips onto hers. His lips pressed against Josie's softly, and she felt her heart skip a beat.

JJ's hands fell from her cheek to her waist, and she deepened the kiss. JJ leaned over, and lightly pushed Josie back onto the floor.

Her arms found their way around his neck, and played with the ends of his hair. They stayed kissing for what felt like a lifetime, and neither ever wanted it to end.

"Josie." A voice croaked out from downstairs. JJ pulled away from the kiss and gave Josie a confused look.

"It's Rafe." Joshe said, panic lacing her tone. The two stood up quickly, and Josie looked around her room. "Go in my closet." Josie said, shoving him in.

She closed the door behind him, and heard Rafe stomping up the stairs. Josie went and sat down on her bed, touching her lips, the feeling of JJ's kiss lingering.

"Josie, I did something bad." Rafe said, entering Josie's room. She took in his appearance, and her jaw dropped.

Rafe had a gun in his left hand, and blood splattered all over him, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Rafe?" Josie questioned, and he looks at her. "Josie I'm sorry." He sobbed. "What happened? Why are you covered in blood?" Josie asked.

He made his way over to her, and she backed up further onto her bed. He looked at her confused, "are you scared of me?" He questioned.

"No I-"

"You're scared of me." He said, crying harder. "No I'm not, I just...what's going on?" Josie asked. "I did something bad." He said, falling onto his knees at Josie's feet.

"What happened?" Josie asked again. "I-" He started, "I killed Peterkin." Rafe said. What she just heard him say made time slow.

Her body felt heavy, like gravity was trying to pull her down further and further. "Are you mad at me?" Rafe asked.

Josie was speechless, she didn't know what to say. "Please don't be mad at me. She was going to arrest my dad, I did it for him." Rafe said.

Josie felt a tear fall down her cheek, and her breath quickened. "No don't cry." Rafe said, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Rafe, you killed someone." Josie spoke. "She was going to kill my dad. She was gonna kill him. I did it for him, now he'll finally love me." Rafe said, his head falling onto her lap.

Josie watched her closet door open from across the room, and JJ peaked out. She looked down at Rafe who was still sobbing into her lap.

She held a finger up to her lips, and JJ looked at her resisting. Josie shook her head, with pleading eyes. She watched as he went back into the closet with a sigh.

"I saved my dad. I mean what else was I suppose to do? Sit there and hope for the best? Listen I'm a proactive type of person, alright?" Rafe rambled on.

"I know, I know." Josie comforted. "I mean, she deserved it. It was self defense." Rafe said standing up. He continued to mumble random things to himself, as he waved the gun around in the air.

"Rafe, please put the gun down." Josie asked, wiping away her fallen tears. "Shit, shit. I'm sorry baby." He said, tossing the gun to the side.

He, once again, kneeled down in front of Josie and took her hands into his. "You get why I did it right?" Rafe questioned.

"Yeah." Josie lied. "I love you." Rafe said, leaning in to kiss her. She turned her head to the side and his kiss landed on her cheek.

"I love you so much." He said again, leaning his forehead against my temple. "He blamed John B you know." Rafe said.

"What?" Josie questioned. "My dad said it was John B." Rafe said with a chuckle. Her heart dropped, realizing what the police sirens have been for all day.

"I need to go. My dad said I have to keep Sarah locked in her room." Rafe said. "Can I come over later?" Rafe asked. Josie nodded her head slightly, and Rafe suddenly stood up, and ran out of the room, down the stairs and out of the front door, slamming it behind him.

"He's gone." Josie croaked. JJ came out of the closet and rushed over to her. Josie let a few more tears fall, and JJ embraced her into a hug.

"He killed her." Josie sobbed. "Jo, we have to go. John B is in trouble." JJ said. Josie still felt heavy, like she couldn't move.

"Jo?" JJ questioned. "I-" She trailed off. "Come on, please. John B needs us." JJ said. Josie snapped out of her haze, as JJ pulled her arm.

"Come on." JJ said. "Okay." Josie said.