Chapter Two

six months later

The beach was filled with people from all sides of the island. Kooks, the wealthy side of the island. Pogues, the working class. And the tourists, who were just looking for some fun while they were on vacation. The sun was just about to set, and everyone had a red solo cup filled with beer to help lighten the mood. Everyone danced around, and few people talked to each other. 

Sarah, and Topper made their way down the beach hand in hand. Rafe and Josie strutted behind while Ava, Brooklyn, Summer, and Ryan all ran down the beach searching for a drink. Josie watched Sarah jog off, and climbed up a beached buoy.

"Oh my gosh Josie, look at the view!" Sarah said pointing to the horizon. Josie looked over at the view, the sun touched the water, and she smiled.

"Sarah, be careful." Topper said, as he caught up to her, seeing Sarah at the top.

"Awe, look who's worried." Josie teased, giving him shove with her shoulder. Although Topper and Josie were twins, they radiated extremely different energy. Josie seemed to bring light and humor to situations, while Topper took everything so seriously.

"Shut up, Josie." Topper said with an eye roll. "Sarah, seriously though, be careful." Topper said grabbing her arm, and pulling her off the beached buoy.

"No let her fall, I'll get a good laugh out of that." Rafe said, looking at Sarah. Sarah stuck her middle finger up at him, jumping off the buoy, as they all continued walking.

"Kiara's here." Sarah said, throwing her head towards her. Josie looked over at Kiara who had a sour look on her face, directed towards the two of them, and she sighed. 

"We should go say hi." Josie said, watching Kie gossip to her friends sitting on a log in front of her.

"Pass." Sarah said walking off, Topper following her like a lost puppy.

"Would ma lady like a drink?" Rafe asked, throwing his arm over Josie's shoulder as they walked.

"Your lady would love a drink." Josie said, interlacing their hands as he kept his arm around her shoulder.

"Would you like beer, or...beer?" He asked, and Josie chuckled.

"Hm, that's a tough one. I think I'll go with...beer." Josie said and Rafe laughed. He handed her the drink, and they sat down on a nearby stump, taking in each others company. "I really honestly hate beer." Josie said, dumping the liquid into the sand.

"I know, me too." Rafe laughed, doing the same. Josie heard his phone ring, and he reached into his pocket and answered it as she wondered who would be calling. "Hello?" He asked into the phone. Josie heared slight mumbles through the phone, "okay, I'll be there soon." He said, ending the call.

"My dad needs me home to help him move the boats in. Do you want to come with?" He asked me, putting his phone back into his pocket.

"No, I think I'll stay with here. I need to watch over Topper so he doesn't do anything stupid." Josie said and Rafe laughed. 

"Okay, I'll see you later babe." He said, pressing his lips against hers.

"Bye." Josie said, watching him walk off. She looked around for her brother who was occupied doing a keg stand, Ryan holding his legs. Josie rolled her eyes, and saw Kiara sitting in a hammock near the water. Josie decided to go over and say hi, despite the drama between her and Sarah.

"Hey Kiara." Josie said, standing beside her. Kiara looked at Josie, but then looked away without saying anything. Kiara couldn't believe the nerve Josie had, coming over to talk to her. "Okay, or not." Josie said, sitting in the hammock with her. Josie was a little taken aback with Kiara's harshness, but she didn't give up on her.