Chapter Thirty Three

I never thought that I would become a widow before I even became a bride; yet I was dressed in all black staring at a picture of David one week after we had found out about his death. It was his burial and since there was no body to bury so we decided to have a short memorial service for him with his family and friends. A headstone would be erected in the family burial plot at the back of the estate in his memory. His family didn't have any land and instead of his gravestone being in a cemetery with a lot of strangers he was going to rest in peace next to my father and grandmother. His whole family had agreed too seeing as they were my family now too.

All of David's friends, family and co-workers were gathered in a tent in the backyard of my grandfather's estate saying goodbye to him. Almost everyone was crying and those who weren't like me were just being strong for the others. I wanted to cry but I had out cried myself. David had also asked me to be strong and I was trying to do that for him and his family too who were also coping with his death.

Elena lay her head on my lap with tears streaking down her face. My mom was hugging his mom who hadn't stopped crying ever since she arrived. His brothers were being consoled my mine, they had tried to be strong and avoid crying but had broken down once the ceremony had started.

I had no idea how I wasn't crying myself amongst all those people breaking down. The priest we had invited to say a few words and bless Davids path to the afterlife had just finished up. George took the stage since and announced that it was time for the eulogies.

"I know this is a hard time for all of us. We have all the time to cry and mourn but let's take this chance to come up here and say a few warm words towards David. Anyone who feels like they have something to say are welcome but so that there isn't any chaos, we will start with co-workers,friends and then family. Please be orderly and respectful."George explained before sitting back down on the other side of Elena. His daughters and mom were also with us sharing our grief which I was most thankful for.

Tyler was the first one to get up, he said a few warm words that made everyone laugh setting up a better mood. He was followed by more employees from the club and a few from his old job at the hotel. David made a good impression everywhere he went so nobody forgot about him. His friends were the next to speak and a few of his work out buddies that I had never met and they all said great things about him. My family spoke next and they spoke with such passion you'd think that David and I had been married forever. To my grandpa he was the older grandson he wanted who he could drink whiskey with and talk about everything under the sun, to my mom he was the perfect son in law and to my brothers he was a big brother that they looked up to.

His brothers spoke next together with Elena. They didn't speak much as they were too emotional but it was more than enough. With the support of my mom, Sarah, his mom, was able to say a few warm words for her son.

The one thing that almost made me tear up amongst everything else was the fact that neither David's mom nor his siblings looked at me with malice or blame at any moment ever since they found about his death. I had brought Derek into his life when he dated me but they didn't hate me for it even though a small part of me blamed myself. We all grieved together as a family without malice or pointing fingers and that eased the burden on my heart.

I was the one who got to speak last. When it was my turn, I got up on fairly steady legs and straightened my huge dress. I wanted to look nice for David even if it was just one last time and even though he wouldn't get to see it and appreciate it I still did it anyway. I had used the same design I was going to use for my wedding dress and made a black gown with a few changes. It was a long sleeved off shoulder gown with a v-neckiline. The top bodice was lace and it hugged hugged my small frame perfectly before flowing into a long flare skirt with many layers. It went all the way to the floor and I looked like Cinderella if she was black and wore black to the ball.