Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Competitive Sports

____

"I would rather die of passion than of boredom." ~Vincent van Gogh

_____

Stage Left: a determined Blaise and a sulking Draco

Setting: behind Malfoy Manor

____

That same evening, Blaise Zabini found Draco Malfoy tucked away inside the Quidditch shed, lacing and unlacing his boots in a lazy fashion. The clouds over Malfoy Manor brought with them a dark drizzle, discouraging any fun Draco might have had in lieu of his argument with Astoria. Upon seeing his friend, Draco gave a disgruntled growl, tightening his laces to the point of losing circulation.

"I've checked every bit of Malfoy Manor. Astoria's not here."

"That's because she's out with Daphne. A girl's night in, if you will, to calm her down." When Draco cast Blaise a glare, he added, "You could be saying thank you instead of giving me that salty expression. It was a favor to you, you know."

"Daphne doesn't do favors."

"You're right. Which means you'll owe her."

"It isn't fair, is it?" Draco snarled. "She gets to just walk out any time she wants and I'm to what? Sit at home and wait for her arrival to forgive me?"

"Viktor Krum is signing books down at Flourish and Blotts."

Blaise had his attention.

"What? The sod wrote a book?"

"Ghostwritten, I imagine, but yeah. Autobiography. And since we went to school with him for a year, I thought we might be mentioned." He waggled his brows. "Come on; you know your interest is peaked."

"You know Bulgaria isn't my team."

"But it's an excuse to get out of the house - one neither of our women can hold over our heads."

Draco smirked. Yeah, he rather liked the idea. "Alright," he agreed. "Let's do it."

_____

Center Stage: Hermione Granger and Ginny Weasley

Setting: Flourish and Blotts, of course!

____

Hermione stepped into Flourish and Blotts with Ginny by her side, inhaling the thick aroma of ink and parchment. "Come on, Gin. We're going to be late." To her left, her friend balanced a stack of photographs (all of Viktor Krum), a small replica set of Quidditch balls, and a pair of leather gloves on top.

"Do you think he'll be willing to sign all these for me?"

"Ginny, Viktor asked us here to give support, not force him to sign all forms of your memorabilia - you sound more and more like your brother every day."

"Well, these are for Ron," Ginny explained, "and George, and Charlie. Bill and Percy never cared much for Bulgaria."

Hermione stifled a large eye roll when she found Viktor's table set up near the front of the shop, twiddling his quill nervously and chewing on the skin of his lower lip. When his eyes met hers, they lit up in delight, and he patted a chair next to him behind the table. "Herm-o-nee! It is great to see you," he exclaimed, his accent still thick and robust. Hermione patted his shoulder as she took a seat beside him just before Ginny tossed all of her items onto the table and immediately asked him to sign them.