twelve

the night before the murder

"honey! where is my notebook?" thirty six year old alice called to her husband.

alice moved around a few more of her notebooks and sketch books looking for her most important one. she had put everything that she has learned about her family this very notebook. from what she has learned, if her prediction is correct, this notebook needs to be in a very specific position by tonight.

"did you check the bed?" rodger called back peaking his head threw his bedroom doorway.

alice quickly ran over to the couple's king sized bed and started pulling of blankets in pillows. after she had pulled off the fifth and last pillow she sighed put of relief.

"thank you," alice mumbled out as she held the book carefully in her hands.

she slowly placed it in her drawer next to her side of bed. she closed it carefully. then locked the door with a key that was in the stand. she took the key and placed it in her water bottle. why? because she was smart enough to know that nobody would ever check the water bottle except for her daughter.

"it's all set."

"are you ready?"

"are we ever going to be ready?"

"no, but we can at least prepare ourselves for the worst."

"worst meaning what?"

"he doesn't kill us like he planned and kills jordan."

"he wouldn't dare."

"you never know with him."

"i wish we could say goodbye."

"you know we can't."

alice ran over to her husband as tears started to stream down her face. she hugged him and cried.

"come on, we need to get to bed."