We Are Oblivious

Hope is such a fragile flower in the rocky ground of our soul. Every emotion, every thought, has an impact on us, but we chose whether or not to feel the full blow of our emotions. Everything that we think, we become dependent on. If something goes wrong, we rely on our own thoughts to comfort us, or torture us. We think that everything is going to turn out alright, but it might not. What very little hope we have, we become completely dependent on, until that small, puny flower grows into a forest of feelings and dreams.

It’s a dangerous game of holding on or letting go. You can almost hear the roulette wheel spinning above our heads, the ball waiting to settle in a make-it or break-it spot.

Can you hear our silent screams of help?

Do you see the desperation in our eyes? Do they give us away?

The truth is, you see none of it. You don’t see what’s right in front of you. We are trained to not see the emotional words lingering in the air, the vibrations left behind. You don’t hear our cries because you are deaf. You don’t see what’s below the surface because you are blind.  We are trained to be oblivious to everything that’s right in front of us.

Next time you see someone, look into their eyes, because it’s the window to their soul.

Next time, look in their eyes, and look deeper. Find out if you can see if something’s wrong. I dare you.

It’s like someone just ripped off your eyelids.