𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑

❦ ᴛʜᴇ ɪʀᴏɴ ʟᴀᴅʏ ❦

The sounds of her boots coming in contact with the wooden planks could be heard, walking towards the stairs down, she encounters Emma who was standing in front of a wall that had drawings pasted

The sounds of her boots coming in contact with the wooden planks could be heard, walking towards the stairs down, she encounters Emma who was standing in front of a wall that had drawings pasted. But before she could take another step towards the ginger-head, she retreated back from the corner as she saw a woman inching towards the 11 years old.

Emma opened her eyes to see a pair of violet eyes staring menacingly down her pair of emerald ones. The girl gasped silently in shock feeling the woman towering over her small build.

"What's wrong Emma? You're looking pale." Her expression started to darken reaching a hand towards the ginger-head's cheek.

"Now that I think about it, this morning you weren't in your usual good spirits."

"No... I..." she couldn't utter out any words as fear engulfed her being. Meanwhile, the ebony haired women's glare started to intensify much more, Calynn was about to interfere as she couldn't see her dear sibling tremble any longer but was stopped in her tracks when Emma forced a believable smile across her face.

"It's nothing!" Mama didn't move as her eyes widened. She was shocked to say the least.

"I was just thinking that I'd soon leave this house and... I'm gonna miss you."

That's right, Emma. Don't let her figure you out. Or it'll be game over.

Mama soon placed her motherly act back on and smiled towards the girl. Caressing her left ear, she asked her a question.

"Do you like the house?" The ginger-head leapt and wrapped her arms around her mother as she smiled happily.

"Of course! And I love the house and I love you! I wonder what Conny is up to now." Releasing herself from her mother's grip, she continued.

"You know, she said she wanted to become a great mother, just like you, once she grows up!"

"Yeah I know. I'm looking forward to that. I'm sure she'll be a fine adult. And a great mother as well."

Such bullshit you're spouting there, Isabella.

Lost in her thoughts, Calynn suddenly felt a hand grasping her shoulder causing her to jump in surprise. She turned around, her vision meeting a familiar mop of raven hair.

"Yo. What's going on?"

"You scared me. And nothing's going on. I was just loitering around waiting for dinner."

"I was about to call Mama for that. You know where she is?"

"Oh, she's just right around the corner."

"Alright. C'mon!"

The two went up towards their mother and sibling with Ray holding a bell in his hand, he rang it signalling it was dinner time. The children from other rooms came out and made their way to the dining hall.

But the brunette could feel the air around her mother and sibling. She could also see Norman who was at the other side's corner, seemingly to be eavesdropping on them as well. The air around them was heavy. It felt like she was about to crumble down and suffocate. Her mother who stood there facing Emma with a menacing look, was now facing towards Ray and Calynn's.

The girl had no doubt. The mother who were taking care of her 'children' knew something was up and she didn't even try to hide it. It's as if she was the hardest obstacle to get rid of.

An Iron wall

"It's dinner time. I got everything ready, Mama."

"We'll get there right away." Isabella put on her motherly smile once again and watched as the children left with the two of the 11 year olds.

"Let's go, Cals."

"Right. And since when did you start calling me 'Cals'? That's new."

"Since now. Wether you like it or not, I'm calling you that. Plus it's easier than saying Ca-Lynn. One syllable word. Like mine."

"Whatever."

Over on Emma's side, Norman had came out from his hiding spot to retrieve Emma and saved her from getting interrogated further more by their mother.

"Emma, let's go!" The albino placed a hand on her shoulder and proceeded to led her away from Isabella, leaving her in the hallways. But before they could take another stride, Isabella turned around to face their direction and with a chilling voice she asked them.

"Did you two went to the gate yesterday?"

Norman decided to break the silence and spoke up.

"No we didn't. I mean those are the rules, right?" He continued. "We were so into our game of tag yesterday! Right?"

"Yeah! In the end nobody could catch you!"

"Why are you asking?"

"No reason. Don't worry about it."

She definitely had a reason.

After they had dinner, Isabella headed towards her own quarters as she stands in front of a calendar. She had the first two buttons on her uniform opened as she ran her fingers on the tattooed numbers down her neck.

"I won't let a single one escape."

"I'll be the one who survives."

[829 words]