Day 6. Dreaming of Homeward Bound

In which a lonely man and his 2 kids get a surprise at the end of Christmas Eve.

Ricky Bowen
"Come here darling..." I pick Marley up and kiss her forehead. "Put the star on the tree for me won't you?"

She smiles and takes the star from my hand and waits patiently for me to lift her up. I do so and let her laugh and smile as she puts it on.

"Is that good?" She questions. I put her down and make my oh so classic dad stance before rubbing my chin.

"Hmm....it's perfect Mar. You're something else." I smile, kissing her head. "Now go get Landon. We're making cookies."

She cheers and runs off into her brothers room as I make my way into the kitchen.

*Flashback*
"It's that important?!" I question, crossing my arms. "You really have to miss Christmas!?"

"Ricky it's not my...it's not my choice. Filming takes over that time, and I'm sorry." Nini answers, teary eyed. "Come on, you really aren't that mad, are you?"

"Nini, the kids-"

"We will FaceTime Rick. It's just one Christmas, why are you so angry?" She keeps her voice calm, but I can tell she's confused.

"Because," I scoff, "I want you here, the kids want you here. It's the smallest film I've ever seen you done, I don't want you to go!"

"Jesus fucking christ. Richard, it's ONE Christmas. It's one holiday, the kids understand, but it's you, the grown adult, that doesn't understand."

"I'm telling you, that this one Christmas, is special. Every Christmas we have, is something we should be thankful for. You're throwing it away for some film?"

"I'm an actress! This is going to happen." She raises her voice just a little. "This was going to happen, and you knew that."

"I want you to be here, Nini. Why is that so much to ask for?" I shut the bedroom door. "I just want you here."

"I wanna be here too b-"

"Clearly you don't! You don't have to be there! You have a choice!"

"Ricky, lower your voice. It's almost 1 in the morning."

I sigh and put a hand in my head. "Nini, I-..what the actual fuck? Why can't you-"

"Ricky! The contract has been signed, the flight has been booked, and the scrip has been read!" She scoffs. "I'm sorry for doing this, I am, but can't you just accept it? It's just one fucking Christmas. That's it. I'll be back here before you even know it."