Chapter 20 - The Luncheon

The next morning, Blair and Ricky stopped by Lola and Mauricio's suite to hear all about their evening. Blair couldn't believe Maritza's behavior towards Lola. And it was even more surprising Lola didn't go off. Then, Mauricio told them about the infamous luncheon at his parents' house. Blair would definitely be in attendance this time. After all he heard about Maritza, he didn't want to miss the show.

They arrived at his parent's house around two in the afternoon. There were several guests already there and there was plenty of appetizers available for people to munch on.

Esteban was talking to Lola and her friends when his twin sisters, Carmela and Camelia, showed up. They were almost identical, except Carmela had blue-green eyes while Camelia had brown ones. Mauricio introduced everyone to his family. Camelia complimented Mauricio on how beautiful Lola was. Several comments were made that Lola's eyes resembled Carmela's. Maritza, of course, made faces.

After about twenty minutes, Tathlia walked in. Maritza was full of smiles then.

"She's startin', man," said EJ to Mauricio. "Watch yo' back."

"I know...I see her," said Mauricio agitated.

Maritza went around the room introducing Tathlia. When she got to Lola and Mauricio, she introduced Lola as Mauricio's friend. He quickly corrected her and advised her to stop with the games or he'd leave. Then took Lola's hand and walked away.

Esteban went over by the window where they were talking. He apologized to Lola yet again. Maritza's behavior was embarrassing and he didn't want her to feel awkward. Lola told him to stop apologizing for her. She was a grown woman in control of her own actions and she knew exactly what she was doing. But Lola warned him that she wasn't gonna take much more of her crap. She was trying to be respectful because she was Mauricio's mother, but she didn't allow anyone to treat her that way. He understood.

Mauricio stepped away to talk to his dad and brother. Tathlia saw Lola and her friends talking to Camelia and her husband, Wayne. So, she felt it was the perfect opportunity to try and ruffle Lola's feathers.

"What do you want, Tathlia?" asked Camelia.

"Just wanted to come and talk with you guys. I wanted to get to know Mauricio's friend a little bit better."

Lola laughed.

"Just leave," said Camelia.

"And Bitch, I'm not his friend. I'm what you'll never be," added Lola with a smile.

"Such language. You didn't have to call me that," said Tathlia sounding proper.

When Esteban saw Tathlia, he nudged Mauricio. Mauricio walked over with such fury. His mother had gone too far this time.

"Let's go," he told them grabbing Lola's hand.

He gave his aunts a hug and kiss. Lola, Blair and Ricky followed suit. Everyone said their good-byes. And since Mauricio was leaving, so was Esteban's side of the family. They were only there because of him. They couldn't stand Maritza.

As Mauricio and his guests approached the door to leave, Tathlia tried to touch him. Lola grabbed her hand and pushed her aside.

"Bitch, step off!"

"Lola, don't talk to her like..." Maritza started to say, but Lola jumped in her face. "Shut the fuck up!!" Lola told Maritza.

Maritza couldn't believe Lola had just done that.

In the lobby, everyone gave Lola accolades. Carmela and Camelia loved how she defended Mauricio and stood up to Maritza and Tathlia. They were tired of seeing Maritza push that girl on their nephew. Esteban loved her feistiness. EJ just hugged her.

Then, Lola apologized to everyone, especially Mauricio. She didn't want to be nasty, but her buttons were pushed. Everyone told her not to worry about it. Mauricio totally understood why she did what she did. He actually apologized to her. He didn't know his mother would be that unbearable, but was really happy she met his dad.

Since they had no plans, Mauricio suggested they spend the rest of the day at Coney Island. He hadn't been there in years and thought it would be a good distraction. Everyone went, including Esteban. They rode the rides, ate Nathan's hot dogs, played games and won prizes. Everyone got along so well and had a memorable time.

Then, Esteban led Mauricio and Lola down the Boardwalk. He told them about a fond memory that happened there. He proposed to his true love, Amelia, right where they stood. He expressed much admiration for her. She was the most beautiful woman in the world and her eyes made anyone's heart melt. He wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. They were supposed to get married.

"Why didn't you?" asked Lola.

The day he was supposed to marry Amelia he didn't show up for the wedding. Mauricio got sick and ended up in the hospital. However, Amelia assumed he wanted to be with Maritza and that wasn't the case. As soon as he could, he went to Amelia to explain what happened. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to. Instead, he got into an altercation with her outside of a restaurant because she was with another man. Later that night, he went to apologize and try again. But from the looks of things, he was too late.