Chapter 47 - Family Meeting

That same evening, Esteban called a family meeting. Lola, Mauricio and EJ hosted it in their new penthouse. Darlene and Amanda were there as well. And he invited his two sisters and their husbands over.

Esteban updated his sisters on everything that had happened in court. They were happy he was finally divorced. He told them about Lola being his biological daughter and explained that story. But the hardest thing was telling them about Mauricio. They were shocked to hear what Maritza had done, but assured their nephew nothing would change. They loved him and adored him. He had their support and could count on them for anything. Mauricio was grateful and appreciated it.

Once his sisters left, Esteban talked about all that he'd acquired in the Dominican Republic. However, EJ was confused and had no clue what they were talking about since he wasn't there the morning Maritza revealed everything. So, they told him the whole story and then discussed how everything would be split.

He gave the mansion in Cabarete to Mauricio and Lola. EJ kept the vacation home in Punta Cana. 

He kept the hotel in D.R. and was remodeling the two restaurants. He wanted them a little more upscale and contemporary.

Then, he had to tell them about Carlos and all he'd acquired behind Maritza's back. They were surprised, but didn't blame him. Maritza was careless.

Esteban kept the hotel in the Caymans and an apartment he just closed on.  He traded in the yacht and got Mauricio the one he wanted, a Marquis 720 tri-deck. It was a little bit bigger than Lola's Marquis 500SB, but they now owned two yachts. And he wasn't sure what to do with the wife's salon.

Esteban kept the five million dollars from the income generating properties.  However, they each had to choose two properties out of the ten that Carlos owned.

Mauricio chose the 12-bedroom luxury oceanfront estate in La Romana and the 10-bedroom beachfront mansion in Cabrera.

Lola got the 11-bedroom oceanfront palace in Playa Grande and a 5-bedroom waterfront villa in Rio San Juan.

EJ chose a 4-bedroom exclusive mountain hacienda in Sosua and a 6-bedroom private hilltop estate in Puerto Plata.

Amanda picked a 6-bedroom estate on a golf course in Punta Cana and a 4-level, 6-bedroom villa in Las Terrenas.

Esteban kept the 8-bedroom luxury villa in Cabrera and Carlos' 13-bedroom family home in Santo Domingo.

Esteban just had a few surprises left.

"Amanda, how would you feel about me marrying your mother?" asked Esteban. "And please be honest."

"And the same for you," said Darlene referring to his three kids.

All of them were okay with their parents getting married. Esteban treated Darlene well, which was Amanda's concern. And Darlene wasn't out for his money, which was his kids' concern. So, Esteban took a ring box out of his pocket. It was a 22-carat Harry Winston engagement ring. The asscher-cut diamond had a single band of micro pavé diamonds. Everyone yelled, screamed and congratulated them. Hugs and kisses were passed around.

Next, Esteban handed Amanda a business card and told her to go to his Benz dealership to pick out what she wanted. She screamed, yelled and hugged Esteban tight. Darlene thanked him, too.

The last thing was a gift for Lola. He handed Lola a box. Inside was a key and a restaurant flyer. David helped Esteban franchise her restaurant into the NewYork market. She now owned an Esperanza's in New York.

"Thanks, dad," she said hugging him.

"You're welcome, míja," he said tearing. Esteban never got tired of hearing her call him that.