Chapter 5: Getting Weapons

A bit of a filler chapter, unfortunately. But at least Ana and Caspian have an actual conversation in this chapter. Just the two of them.

𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍𑁍

Reepicheep explained that an army of Telmarines was building a bridge at Beruna. They had wagons full of weapons and supplies that we could use. Prince Caspian agreed to a raid on the camp and a select group of Narnians were appointed to go with him. The rest were sent to find a place where we could forge weapons and plan for battle. Someplace that wasn't wide open and easily surrounded. This was where we would train and prepare for what was to come.

We chose to travel during the night, knowing it would give us better coverage and make us harder to track. Unfortunately, it was daylight before we reached the river and it was agreed to let everyone rest. Reepicheep and a few Narnians were sent to scout the area, and after demeaning it safe, we spread out. I didn't bother sleeping, finding it impossible to do so. So I took first watch while we waited for the chance to move again.

By high noon, we were on our feet again. Glenstorm guided us to the river that the Prince and I had raced across just a few days earlier. Reepicheep was right. There was a small army of Telmarines gathered there. While a few could cross it in search of the Prince, the whole army could not. Not with all their military weapons and the foot soldiers. But in order to get their supplies, we would have to cross the river undetected and return. So we moved down the river and crossed where it was deeper and more narrow, but further from the Telmarines.

The Prince planned to wait until closer to nightfall. They wouldn't expect an attack and the watch would likely not notice them coming. I was chosen, along with Reepicheep, to be the lookout for our group. Although Prince Caspian didn't want any causalities, he recognized that some might chase after them. We were supposed to kill any that did while the others raided the camp. However, we were asked to hold off until the last minute and not to kill unless absolutely necessary. I promised not to, though Reepicheep seemed disappointed by that particular order.

Glenstorm, Nikabrik, another centaur, a couple of fauns, and the Prince were in charge of retrieving the weapons. They were supposed to get as many as they could carry and hand them off to our troops hidden in the woods. Once they had all they could hold—for this we chose strong creatures and Talking Animals—they would then carry them off. This was to ensure that if anything happened to the group, the weapons could still get away.

As night fell, we moved in. Reepicheep and I waited on the edge of the woods, watching the Telmarines carefully. Most of them were sleeping, but a few wandered about the camp, presumably the watch. The Prince quietly led his group towards their wagons. The remaining Narnians in our small party moved into the cover of the trees around us. For a while, everything seemed to be going quite well. Three, then four, loads were carried into the woods and I saw some of the Narnians depart, heading back downstream to cross the river.

When I glanced back, I noticed a few Telmarines heading towards the wagons. They didn't seem to notice their supplies were being invaded, but Reepicheep ran out to warn them. I saw Caspian nod and hand his load off to a passing faun. He buckled under the weight for a moment but then returned to the trees. I ordered the remaining Narnians to retreat and repeated the order to those that followed after the faun. There was no sign of the Prince though and I turned back to the wagons. He was using his dagger to carve something onto one of the wagons. The Telmarines were getting closer to him, weapons drawn as they finally seemed to notice something was wrong. I retrieved my bow, nocked an arrow, and aimed at one of the Telmarines.

"What are you doing?!" I asked the Prince, giving away my location. "Come on! We need to leave!"

I kept shouting at him watching as the Telmarines got closer. Finally, he started running towards me but not before the Telmarines saw him. They ran for the woods and I released my arrow. One I intentionally hit in the shoulder, another Reepicheep dispatched, and the third I killed when he began to raise the alarm. Once the Prince reached the trees, Reepicheep close behind him, he stopped to catch his breath.