Vivian

"Viv, please, you've wanted this for so long you can't just give up no-"

"Enough! I said I'm not running anymore and that's the end of the discussion." Vivian spoke harshly as she clenched her fists to her side. The room seemed to shrink as she swallowed another lump in her throat.

Vivian had spent the last 8 years blowing through money on her campaigns for governor but could never even get the primary vote. It was a blow to her ego that landed her as an assistant to the mayor. She'd only been working there for 8 months but it felt like an eternity watching others fill positions and move up in their careers while she remained stagnant.

It hadn't always been like this. Her first run for governor at 24 was her most successful run with a voter prediction of 80%. It all seemed to come crashing down around her when her brother was killed during a traffic stop. Her time became filled with court cases, interviews, and advocating for reform. The existing media spotlight gave her little time to grieve.

It wasn't long before she was labeled as a cop hating, black supremacist looking to triple hard working people's taxes by her opponents. With her hands already full handling her brothers death, her second run for governor failed miserably with a voter prediction of 33%.

"Sorry for pressing it." Brandon nodded solemnly as he picked at his silver cuff links. He was another assistant who she'd grown close to.

"I'm going to lunch. Wanna come?" Running her hand over her low bun, she found comfort in the waves that resulted from her naturally kinky hair.

"Can't. I've got some more calls to make about the upcoming rally. See you at 7, don't forget!" He smiled brightly before turning to exit her office. Vivian cursed herself as she remembered she'd agreed to go with him to Mackenzie's competition.

Brandon looked no older than 21 despite turning 37 this year. His daughter, Mackenzie, looked more like his little sister than his child. Vivian had met the girl numerous times and was amazing at how smart she was. The notorious puffs paired with her crooked smile made the girl unforgettable.

Rushing out of the building, Vivian hustled towards the parking lot as she struggled to find her car keys. The dusty black paint of her 2015 Nissan Altima came into her vision just as she pulled her keys from the jumbled mess that was her purse.

"Okay, now I have one hour for lunch and one hour to figure out a gift." She mumbled as she started the car and placed her things into the passenger seat. Mackenzie was only 12 but showed the promise of a future prima ballerina. It was tradition that Vivian always brought her a gift before one of her competitions.

Pulling away, she headed to the mall where she could kill two birds with one stone. Luckily it was only a 20 minute drive. Once she'd arrived, she pulled the black pumps from her feet and replaced them with flats before entering the busy outlet.
...

"Ma'am, do you have these in a size 5?" Vivian held up the shoes to show the woman.

"I'll check the back for you." Turning back to the wall, she eyed another pair of vans for the girl. Mackenzie favored ballet but her everyday aesthetic screamed tomboy. It was a jarring switch when she'd first met the girl.

"Here you are ma'am."

"Thank you." She took the box and placed it on top of the other she'd wanted to get for the girl.

Brandon claimed she spoiled Mackenzie but Vivian knew it was just because he was cheap. He often attempted to buy off brand attire for the girl, but after she nearly broke her ankle due to poor quality pointe shoes, Vivian began helping him provide for the girl. She'd had to cuss him out numerous times about the importance of quality equipment.

"Alright, I'm done with her gift now I need something to eat." Vivian pulled out her phone to assure she was on track before heading to the food court. Fifteen minutes later, she was sat with a lemon grilled chicken bowl and mango smoothie.

She hummed in delight at the tasty lunch, her mind drifting to unimportant thoughts. Just as she went to pick up her phone it buzzed against the table. It buzzed once more. Then again and again.

"What the fuck?" The mumble was filled with confusion as she unlocked the device. Multiple messages, emails, and social media notifications flashed across her screen before the device froze.

"You've got to be kidding me." Pushing the lock button and home button rapidly, she grumbled to herself before slamming the phone on the table in frustration. A deep worry had already settled in her stomach fueling her reaction.

Another buzz had her picking the device up once more to find it working once again. Her eyes moved rapidly over the messages, her stomach knotting with each one.

"Micheal Phoenix, prized Jimmins campaign manager, set to run for Governor next election"

"Micheal Phoenix's jarring party switch: from Modern Alliance to Patriotic Unity"

Vivian couldn't begin to process the information. A multitude of emotions ran through her body, disgust slowly making its way to the top. Despite its name, the Patriotic Unity Party was anything but united. It built its foundations on the ideology of genetic hierarchy with a focus on economic growth instead of social.

A piece of Vivian couldn't believe Micheal could flip parties but she had to remind herself the man he was now, was one she didn't know. Her last memory of the man was the two of them, fresh out of high school, competing for summer jobs. That was over 14 years ago and people did anything for money nowadays.
——