13. Rio

When the golden light of the sun seeps through my curtains, casting a warm hue over my room, my birds start chirping. I knew it was time to get up, as there would be no way I'd be getting back to sleep listening to their racket. I sighed, they were my own little, feathered alarm clocks.

Reaching for my phone that I'd placed on my bedside table, I let out a groan when my tired eyes- still blurry from sleep managed to make out the current time. Unfortunately, those damn birds had started their routinely morning sing-song earlier than usual today. If they weren't so noisy I would be able to fit in another half hour of sleep.

Rolling over onto my back, I stared at the ceiling. The corners of my mouth tugged upwards as flashes of last nights events entered my mind.

The double date ended up going well. Sure, it had a rough start, but things started to sort themselves out after some time.

After leaving the restaurant, Eyelet drove me home. Instead of going inside for the night, we ended up chatting for an hour about anything and everything. We stole a few small kisses from each other, which I can say I thoroughly enjoyed.

I really, really like this girl.

I must've spent a fair bit of time replaying last night in my head, because before I knew it, Paris came barging into my room demanding that I have to wake up.

"You annoying creature. Calm down, I'm already awake!" I let her know.

"I am not an annoying creature. Blame Sydney for this, she told me to wake you because you're gonna be late for school." She told me.

I responded to her with an obnoxiously loud groan and checked the time again. "Shit! I'm gonna be bloody late."

I had about 15 minutes before Declan would be here to pick me up. Just how long did I spend daydreaming about Eyelet?

"Rio, don't swear," Paris hissed at me.

"You're going to hear a lot more swearing in your lifetime, kid. Better get used to it now." Why were kids so sensitive about cuss words? Did they honestly think they would grow and not end up swearing?

"Whatever, now come on," she tugged at my arm. "Syd is gonna get mad at you."

"Did she at least make me breakfast to help out?" I asked.

"Help out with what?"

"You know... to help me get ready quickly? Sometimes she makes breakfast." I clarified. To which she shook her head in response, confirming that there would be no breakfast waiting for me down stairs.

"Rio you're so silly." She giggled, making me frown. "You need to learn to make your own breakfast. You're almost an adult."

Great. I have to make my own breakfast and my little sister is now telling me what I need to do.

Although, I was rushing around the house like a lunatic to get ready, I wasn't frustrated at all. I felt energised and like I was floating on cloud-nine because of the one girl I couldn't get out of my mind.

Time flew by, and before I knew it, Declan was beeping the horn of his car to alert me that he'd arrived. Sometimes he'd get out of the car and come inside to greet me. Other times, like today, he'd simply beep the horn to let me and all the neighbours know he was here.

I noticed that Declan had also arrived to my place a little bit late, which made me glad to know I wasn't the only one running behind this morning. That's probably why he didn't come inside.

Before leaving, I gabbed a cinnamon fruit bun to scoff down on the way to school. I didn't miss the look of disgust on Sydney's face after she told me that the bun, had in fact, gone past it's expiration date by a few days. I took a bite out of it anyway.