12. Declan

I could tell Rio wasn't happy with my choice to bring Emma to the double date. It was clear to see that both Rio and Eyelet were uncomfortable by her presence, which was something that I thought I initially wanted because I was petty. But now I'm not so sure.

There was a selfish part of me that wanted their date to be ruined. It wasn't fair on either of them.

I decided to act as though I wasn't starting to regret my decision about bring Emma.

We took our seating at a four-seater booth. Rio and Eyelet were seated next to each other, practically joined at the hip. They seemed to gotten over Emma being here quickly.

From an outsider's perspective they looked like a cute couple. It was sad to think about.
I watched as they talked to each other, making stupid jokes and giggling. They didn't keep their conversations just between themselves. Eyelet, being overly nice had engaged with me and Emma, wanting to hear our input.

It was hard to be mad at someone who was consistently nice. Rio did pick a decent girl.

The sudden thought that Rio's type was friendly, outgoing girls started to make me a little nauseous.

I wasn't necessarily unfriendly, but I was reserved and found it hard to open up to people. I knew I came off as slightly arrogant and moody to others, which wasn't exactly untrue. I was definitely moody. The aura I emitted was exactly the opposite of Eyelet's.

If Eyelet's kind, inviting demeanor is what Rio was attracted to, then maybe I didn't stand a chance. I knew he was attracted to her looks as well. There's no denying that she's a beautiful girl.  Another thing I also wasn't, a girl.

The sickening feeling in my gut, because of these thoughts was like nothing I had experienced before. I wanted to go home now. This whole thing was a bad idea that I shouldn't have agreed to.

"Guys, I think we should order now. We've been talking for a while." Rio suggested. "I'm so fucking hungry!"

I snorted. "You always are."

My reply was matched with a feminine voice at the exact same time. I looked over at Eyelet.

"Oops, jinx." She giggled at me.

I just stared at her, unamused, until she felt the need to look away.

Nobody knows, except me, just how much Rio always needed to eat.  After all, I'm the one who always has to listen to him complain about it.

Rio kicked me from under the table. I guess he must of caught the look I gave Eyelet.

When the waiter came over to take our order, he smiled at us kindly. "What can I get you kids tonight?"

The waiter, Rick, was a man in about his mid-thirties who often took our order when we were here.

Emma and Eyelet both ordered some kind of salad and I rolled my eyes at that.

They couldn't seriously want a salad because it was delicious right? We're at an Italian restaurant that's known for its authentic pizza and pasta, and they want to get that?

Girls... I've never understood them.

Rio, as usual, almost ordered the entire menu. For some time, it always seemed that the food Rio ordered was intended for only him. After a while and many visits here, I noticed that he ordered enough food for both of us to share.

It was his way of paying for my meals without directly mentioning it. He was aware that his family was wealthier than mine and that he got a larger allowance from his parents than I did. He never brought it up though.