Still Sisters? Part 1

"I know that look that was on his face, all there faces when it would get quiet. Thankfully they didn't ask anymore questions than just casual ones. Problem is, I know they'll be asking the more serious questions later on..." 

She said to her herself as she sat on her bed; holding her helmet in her hands.

"Problem is I don't have all the answers..." She said, having the black visor stare back at her. 

"I feel like I'm missing something, like there's something I should know but I can't... you understand what I mean right?" She said to her helmet.

"Of course you don't. Your a whole nother' animal. Your the side of me that's just part of a war machine. A cold hearted killer... You don't ask questions or feel anything, I guess that's the good part about you. No mental torment, no questions..."

She said drifting off looking up from her helmet for a moment. Before staring back into black the visor once more. Hearing faint gun shots and explosions flooding her memory...

"Its scary to imagine if anyone could see what you have, if they just put you on..." She said drifting off again, as she had some brief flashbacks; her helmet just staring back at her. She sighed as she got up and broke her gaze from it; putting it on the night stand beside her bed.

 "How am I ever going to do this." 

Just then she heard a knock on her door. She pressed the button that makes the monitor come down from the  ceiling to show on camera who is outside her door; it was Desi.

"Of course." She sighed as she  closed her eyes briefly  before walking to her sliding doors.

She pressed the control panel that made the doors open; they slid with a brief fog caused by the ice which engulfed the base.

"Hi Kat- I mean Kata! I mean Strophis! No I mean-" 

"Desi." Katastrophis said as she put her hand up softly to stop Desi from stuttering further. "Its fine, you can call me whatever you want." She said putting her hand down with reassurance in her voice. 

"But, I thought you didn't like it when people shortened your name or gave you nicknames?" Desi said confused as she watched Kata turn around and walk back further into her room. 

"I don't." She said as she walked over to the touch screen pad on her wall and closed her closet that held her armor; aligned perfectly.

"Because I consider it disrespectful. When people give you a nickname they usually think they know you and nobody knows me... so I don't allow people to shorten my name or give me a nickname unless it's someone that knows me- truly knows me... Its about respect. But you're different Desi. You can call me what you want like you did back then." She said with a bit hesitation in the last part. As she turned around again and motioned Desi to come in. 

"Oh, well then Kata it is! Although you know me- it always changes!" She said cheering up as she walked into Kata's room; the doors sliding shut behind her.

"Who were you talking to by the way?" She asked as she plopped herself onto Kata's bed. 

"Huh? Oh I wasn't talking to anyone." Kata said as she glanced at her helmet. 

"Oh, funny I thought I heard you talking or something. But yet again I've never been in this base before so maybe it was just voices traveling with all of this ice around us- which is incredible by the way! An entire base made of ice! Yet its not even freezing in here!" Desi said. 

"It is pretty different isn't it?" Kata said looking around her dorm. 

There was a moment of silence but it wasn't awkward, just different... 

"So, why'd you come to my dorm?" Kata said breaking the silence. 

"Oh you know... Me and you are practically surrounded by the guys all day long- or used to be. I mean we are now again technically but-" she said stumbling with her words.

"Desi-" Kata said interrupting her softly. "-You don't have to be nervous around me or watch what you say. Nothing has changed between me and you." 

"Really?" Desi said looking up at her shyly. "Nothings changed?" She asked awkwardly.

Kata caught what she was hinting at and looked away before looking back her. 

"Okay, I get where you're getting at." Kata said looking away again and walking over to her helmet; placing her hand on top of it. 

Desi watched as Kata turned to her helmet sitting on the night stand next to her bed. 

"You always were close with your helmet." Desi said behind Kata. 

"Hm?" Kata said turning her head around to look at Desi.

"Funny how we identify with our helmets, like their our second identity or something." She said waiving her hand in amusement. 

"Yeah..." Kata said as she looked back at her helmet; before turning away and going to sit in the amusing ice chunk that was carved into a dome like chair, just off to the right at the end of her bed. 

Another short moment of silence passed as Kata saw Desi looking around the room; still amused by almost everything being made out of ice. 

"I know you came here for a reason Desi what is it?" Kata said as more of a statement rather than a question; as she slumped into the ice chair even more and rested her head back with her eyes closed.

"What? Can't I just come and visit my long lost sister?" Desi said shyly.

Kata opened her eyes and turned her head towards Desi with an arched brow.  

"I mean... I guess." Desi said looking away stumbling to find her words.

Kata sighed as she closed her eyes again and faced her head towards the ceiling once more.

"You came to ask me something didn't you..."