Chapter 19

Mark took us into the city. We drove up to a new restaurant that just opened. It was all chrome and glass. The China is probably more expensive than my car. I looked over at him and smiled. I knew I was dressed for the occasion but I still felt like an outsider. He got out and hurried over to my door and opened it.
"Thank you." He took my hand as we walked in and spoke fluent French to the hostess. She directed us to a table in the back that was a private section from the rest of the restaurant.
"I'm so glad we're doing this." He smiled at me as he spoke.
"Me too. I haven't been out in ages either." We sat and talked for a few until a bottle of wine came out. I placed my hand over my glass.
"No thank you. I don't drink." The waiter left the opened bottle at the table and left. I looked up at Mark and saw anger in his face. My face paled.
"Why did you tell me? I wouldn't have ordered it." He spoke softly but I could hear the anger behind it.
"You never asked. I had no idea you were ordering the wine."
The waiter came over once again and I ordered a glass of iced tea and a small steak with a side salad. Mark plastered a smile on ordered a medium steak with a side salad as well.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get angry."
"It's fine. Don't worry about Mark." I smiled uncomfortably.
"How was your day?" He asked stiffly.
I shrugged. "Not bad. My mom has had my daughter today so I've just been doing housework and catching up on reading."
"What books do you read?"
i laughed, somewhat embarrassed. "Nicholas Sparks books mostly. I'm a hopeless romantic."
He smiled. "Which one is your favorite?"
I thought about it awhile. "Hm. A Walk To Remember and The Notebook. Seriously cried after I read them. I've been meaning to pick some new books up though. I've heard The Fault in Our Stars is a great book. I've heard good things about Paper Towns as well."
He nodded. "I've recently read some mystery book. I can't remember the name, but the author is Mary Higgins Clark. Excellent writer."
I nodded as well. We were still talking about books we've read when our waiter appeared with our salads.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Driving back towards my house felt strange and quiet. Mark did hold my hand on the drive home, but it didn't feel right. There was just something..off about him. He, somehow, does look familiar. Not him as a person, but his features. They striking grey eyes. I knew those eyes. I stared at him for a long time. No. It can't be.
I started to panic. I quietly texted my mom and told her to call me for an "emergency". My mom called a minute later and I answer.
"I'm calling for a so called emergency. I'm taking it the date isn't well?"
"Mom calm down. What happened?"
"Oh you just texted me and strangely asked me to call for an emergency."
"Okay. Calm down. I'll be right there. I'll meet you at the hospital."
"Okay. I'll will be there to get you looking like a grieving upset grandmother."
I hung up and looked at Mark. "Hospital? Is everything okay?"
"Yea, my daughter fell and she's bleeding pretty profusely. My mom couldn't tell me anything more."
Mark quietly drove to the hospital. As he turned into the emergency parking lane, he reached for my hand. I tried not to get sick or pull my hand away. When can I see you again?" He asked sullenly.
"I'm not sure. I'll call you when I can, okay?" He nodded. I got out and started to head to the entrance when he pulled away and left the parking lot.
Mom pulled up a minute later and I jumped in the front.
"What was-?"
I cut her off and shouted, "My uncle, does he have a son?"