4. Trouble and Thanks

So, there will be time skips, (Sorry, I'm a bit lazy at the moment). For those of you who know 'Heirs of the Night', this chapter starts when Lars helps get Alisa back onto the ship for the headcount. Hopefully you know... silly me, of course you do. 💙

   And I do apologies greatly for not updating any sooner.

    💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙

    "There you are."

  "Lars?" Alisa looked around for the Dracas boy as she hid behind a tree. 

     She was startled when he jumped down behind her.

   "What are you doing of the ship?" Alisa asked, looking confused as the boy crouched next to her.

   "Waiting for you?" Lars said, sounding indifferent. 

   "What? Why?" Alisa looked even more confused. 'Is he helping me? If so this is all a dream, he hates me.' She thought. 

   "Let's say Ivy was very persuasive. Go up on the Starboard side." Lars nodded at the ship that lay docked at the wooden pier. 

    "Why?" Alisa once again asked.

   "Just go." Lars looked as if an angry wolf would be easier to command.

  Alisa stayed, looking questioningly at him, not quite understanding his motive.

   "Just go." Lars looked at her then gestured with his head at the ship. 

   Alisa got up and started to run off to do as told. When she looked back, Lars looked exasperated. 

  "Go!" He commanded.

  She ran off, disappearing. 

  'Why is he helping me, and what is he doing? He's going to get in trouble... for my sake.' Alisa thought. 

   She waited a bit on the Starboard side of the ship, waiting for a chance to climb on board.

  "Hey! What's Lars doing off the ship?! Hey, everyone look!" Alisa heard Ivy call out. Everyone dashed to the other side of the ship from Alisa and she took her chance and jumped on the boat as silently as she could. 

   "Good evening everyone! Lovely night for a walk!" Lars called out leisurely.

  "Lars of Dracas! Lars of Dracas! Lars of Dracas get on this ship right now! Get him!" Conte Claudio ordered two shadows to take grab Lars as he stepped on to the ship. 

    "Take him and lock him in the hold." Conte Claudio ordered, "Everyone, line back up!" 

   As she took her place beside Ivy, Alisa looked back at Lars before he was taken below deck.

    "Thanks." She gave him a small smile, really meaning it. 

  "You're welcome." Lars grinned back before he was taken away. 

    After the headcount was completed, Alisa took Ivy aside. 

  "What happened?" She asked.

   "Something happened that was apparently very urgent, so Conte Claudio wanted to see that everyone was onboard. You were gone, so I got Lars aside and asked him to help, saying you were our friend. He said mine maybe, but not his. But I managed to persuade him to help. It was his idea to get in trouble and cause a scene so that you could sneak back onboard." Ivy told her, explaining as much as she could.

   'Lars thinks I'm not his friend... understandable I suppose.' Alisa thought.

   "Where is he?" Alisa asked.

   "Who?" Ivy looked confused.

   "Lars. I need to talk to him." Alisa explained.

  "Conte Claudio wanted him looked up in the hold, so probably where they're keeping my brother Seymore. It's the only place they can lock anyone up." Ivy reasoned out.

   "Okay, thanks. And really, thanks for helping me." Alisa smiled.

  "No problem." Ivy smiled, before walking off.  

     Alisa made her way down to the hold, stopping in front of the door that led to the little "prison".

   She quietly entered, shutting the door after her. Lars sat on a bench behind bars, his back to her.

   "Hey." She said quietly, approaching him.

   Lars turned.

   "Hey." He looked curiously at her, "What are you doing here?" 

  "I... I wanted to talk to you." Alisa explained.

    "Come to gloat have you?" Lars scoffed, rolling his eyes.

  "What? N-no! Of course not!" Alisa looked shocked, "I wanted to thank you properly, and to apologise." 

   Lars just looked at her, waiting for her to continue.

  "Thanks for helping me get back on the ship. But now you're in trouble for my sake and I don't deserve and neither do you. I know I shouldn't have told on you and Malcom, trust me, I didn't want too, but they forced it out of me. I'm sorry, sorry for that and getting you locked up in here." The words poured out of Alisa. 

  "It's fine, really. It was my idea to be the distraction while you got back." Lars gave her a tiny smile. She smiled back.

  "What happened?" Alisa asked.

  "I don't know exactly. I read Karen's mind. All I could make out is that something happened in town and Conte Claudio wanted to make sure everyone was here." Lars shrugged. 

  "Well, whatever it was, thanks anyway. Is there any way I could get you out of here?" Alisa asked, touching the bars.

   "No, leave me till they decide what to do. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad." Lars shook his head.

   "Okay then..." Alisa looked down, "Thanks again. I'll see you once they let you go." She promised.

   "If they let me out." Lars rolled his eyes. 

             💙💙💙💙

  So sorry for not updating in ages... I've been working on another book.... Anyway, so sorry this is short...