14. Inside His Mind

Alisa opened her eyes and looked around.

  A maze made of green hedges stood in front of her, a line of torches leading up to the entrance.

    She took one of them and took a deep breath.

 'I'm coming Lars... hang in there.' She thought, entering the maze.

    Walking through the maze, Alisa called out his name.

  Suddenly, she heard the sound of laughter.

    Curious, she followed the sound till she was standing at the entrance of the Royal Hut back in Norway, where she found a boy of the age of two or three running and crawling about.

   "Lars? Where are you? Come out, come out from wherever you are!" Karen sang out, pretending that she couldn't find Lars as she looked behind a pillar.

    Little Lars giggled and crawled underneath the table.

  "You are so good at hiding!" Karen laughed, still pretending that she couldn't find him.

    Little Lars giggled again, but stopped when he suddenly noticed Alisa standing at the entrance, smiling softly at the sight. 

  Alisa placed a finger to her lips, smiling and nodding.

 Little Lars gave her a smile and waved before Karen swept him up in a hug.

 "Found you!" Karen laughed, tickling Lars as he giggled.

"I do hope he's been a good boy while I was away," Another voice spoke out.

   Alisa turned and saw Lars' mother sweeping past her gracefully towards Karen and her son.

  "Oh, he's been as good as gold!" Karen assured her.

  Alisa watched a moment longer before turning and searching through the maze again. 

    "Lars? Lars? Lars! Where are you?!" She called out.

     Entering another doorway, she found a more recent memory unfolding before her eyes.

   It was in the dining room on the Elizabeth. Lars was sitting with his cousins, Tammo was with Joanne.

     "Oh Easy! This is my sister, Alisa. Say hello," Tammo turned around.

  Alisa looked at the girl smiling down at the pet rat. It was her, except this was part of Lars' memory. She continued to watch as the memory version of herself and Lars stared at each other before he spoke up.

     "What's your name?" He asked.

  "Alisa," She replied.

    "Alisa what?" He rolled his eyes, a smirk playing at his lips. 

  "Alisa von Vamalia," The memory Alisa said. 

      Alisa stayed out of sight as she watched the interaction. It felt like it was so long ago when they all first met. They had come a long way from being at each other's throats.

      "Get me out of here Lars, I can't hold on much longer," A breathy voice filled the air. 

    Alisa followed the voice until she came upon herself, lying on the ground. Lars had her head on his lap, fingers pressed up against the sides of her forehead. Inger and Fanny each had a hand on her, eyes closed, concentrating. 

     It was when she and Dracula were still connected, when he was in the room of silver crosses. 

  "If Dracula dies, she dies," A female voice said. The woman looked at her husband, "She's just a child."

     "Contessa," Alisa whispered from her hiding spot. 

  "Lars, what can we do to help?" The Contessa asked. 

      "Your ruby! Give me your ruby!" Lars exclaimed. 

   The Contessa immediately took her necklace off and handed it to him. 

Suddenly, the memory vanished. 

    Alisa looked around, wondering what was going on. Snow began to fall around her, coating the hedge walls with a white blanket. 

    "Lars? Lars?" Alisa began walking around, remembering her task. Everywhere she looked, she couldn't see anything except snow and ice. There were no memories, and no signs of anything that could lead her to find out what was wrong with Lars.

      "Alisa? Alisa you shouldn't be here! It's dangerous, get out!" Lars' voice suddenly filled the air. 

      "Lars! What happened?" Alisa asked, turning round in circles to find answers. 

   "Check the glass," His voice eventually spoke up again, this time, fainter, "I had a drink of blood earlier. Check for poison. Now get out! Quickly before my mind shuts down."

       "Are you going to be alright?" Alisa asked. 

   "I'll be fine," Lars said, "I promise. Now go!" 

        Alisa began making her way back out. Which was a lot harder with all the snow. 

   "Get him out! Now!" A voice roared. 

       Alisa stopped in her tracks and turned around. 

   In all the whiteness, a wispy memory faded in and out of focus. Baron Magnus sat on his throne, glowering at his son. Lars looked like he was six at the time. He was sitting on a rug in front of the fireplace, playing with wooden figures. 

     "But, your lordship, he's your son -" Karen began to speak.

  "He's a constant reminder of her! Get him out of my sight and keep him away as much as possible. I'll only see him when necessary. Go!" Baron Magnus cut her off sharply. 

     "Yes, Baron," Karen scooped the boy up in her arms and carried him away. 

  Once out of sight, the little boy looked at Karen and asked, "Why doesn't he love me?" 

      Karen paused. "He does love you, he just... he can't show it at the moment," She said. 

  "Where's mother? I want mother," Little Lars pouted. 

      "Your mother isn't here at the moment little one. Just sit here and play while I prepare your dinner," Karen placed him in front of the kitchen fireplace. 

      Alisa continued to stare at the same spot even after the memory had disappeared. 

    It wasn't his father's trust and praise Lars had wanted whenever he acted the way he used to, it was attention and love. Ever since his mother died, his father shut him out, making him feel unloved. All Lars seemed to have ever wanted was for his father to be proud of him and show that he loved and cared for him. 

     Alisa wiped her eyes before making her way back out. 

  As well as curing Lars, there was also something else that she needed to do. Whether she succeeds or not, she will just have to wait and see. 

💙❤️💙

     Surprise!!!! An update!!!! I am so sorry for having not updated in a long time!!! I kinda lost inspiration for this book, but now, hopefully, I'll be able to continue!!! I have seen a lot of comments from all of you wonderful readers asking me to update, and that encouraged me to keep going, so thank you!!!! 

    Again, SURPRISE!!! I'm back!!!

Clara