Ch. 14 The Road Home

The Blood Moon pack had been expanding its territory and nieghboring packs were aqcuiesing far too easily, considering how important it was to maintain enough land for hunting and security as well as keeping those neutral areas that provided a buffer for those where were packless or traveling. CJ had been sent in to investigate several years after my family betrayed the pack, she entered the pack as a foster child of the Beta, the daughter of a sister he had lost. Childless, the Beta and his wife had jumped at the chance and welcomed her into the pack, disregarding the fact that he had no idea his sister had even had children.

She was fourteen at the time and Grant had fought to be sent in her place, but another high ranking male may have had trouble being accepted. The only reason he had finally accepted that she was the best choice was because he would be her contact, and in truth there was a family bond with the Beta. His sister didn't meet the end he was told she did, in fact, she was miserable at home and she and her children were abused and isolated by her Beta mate. They had all joined the Lux Aeterna pack but missing her mate had slowly driven his sister insane. In the end, the children were raised by the pack and had been training since they were small.

Grant knew CJ could handle the job, all she had to do was lay low listen and report back anything that seemed suspicious. But, she had grown discontent with her job as of late and had begun actively seeking information in hopes of getting away from what she called the "Slut Sisterhood". The council was fairly certain that her pushing was what led to her disappearance.

It had been decided that a group would go in under the guise of being sent by the Triad, basically the recognized law tribunal that interpretted and enforced laws between packs. One of the Triad was a former member of the pack and had made the arrangements.

Thankfully enough had transpired that it wouldn't draw unexpected attention for the Triad to send people in to investigate. The Alpha pair had been killed, the increase in Rogue attacks and now a Betas daughter was taken. There was a lot of upheaval over the last few years and it would not have been taken lightly.

I felt completely overwhelmed. I sat in the meeting as all the background information was shared and soaked it all in numbly. I listened as possible reprecussions were discussed, knowing that it didn't matter. Mostly, I wondered how I could have missed so many little clues and still be considered smart enough to even be a part of this meeting. CJ was Grants sister. CJ was Grants sister. CJ IS Grants sister. There was no confirmation she was actually gone and she is in need of our help, my wolf reminded me. As I played back all I knew about her it was mind boggling that I hadn't put it together on my own. Grant was a masculine version of CJ. The dark hair and those beautiful eyes with their thick lashes...I found myself gazing at Grant, his attention clearly focussed on the meeting. I dropped my eyes and pretended to look at the paper in front of me. Now that I really considered it, CJ, never laid a finger on me, I figured it was because she saw me as something filthy, but could it have been her way of keeping me safe. And there was the female voice the night Grant came. I thought I had been delusional from lack of food and blood loss, but was it her the whole time?

"...well? Ava, what do you think? Do you have any recommendations?" The Alphas smooth voice broke through my silent reverie.

Shit. Shit, shit, shit. The Luna, who sat beside him creased her brow as I watched her gaze follow my line of sight, which had once again drifted to Grant.

"Hun, Ava hasn't really been here all that long. I don't know that she would have any ideas on who should compose the team until she looks through all the files. I'm sure she could come up with something in the morning if we gave her time to look through the information you just gave her..." she finished with a lilt to her voice as if she was framing it as a question. In reality she just saved my ass and we both knew it.