His eyes

Chapter 1.

It was a snowy and busy December afternoon in New York City. On the crowded New York streets, people were either rushing home from work, angry and frustrated, screaming into their phones, or happily enjoying the holiday spirit spreading through the city whilst shopping for Christmas presents. Along the streets, numerous Christmas songs were heard from different shops and cafeterias, mixed in an unpleasing melody. There is nothing like Christmas in New York City.

Rachel Green was standing in front of a popular cafeteria named Central Perk. Though recently divorced and unemployed, an amused smile was spread across her face that couldn't be unnoticed by a stranger. Like a warm cup of hot chocolate making all hair on the body rise from pleasure, an unfamiliar feeling of liberty and pride was fulfilling her entire body, making her lips grow even wider. This feeling was something she has never experienced before.

Never in her life has she followed her heart. Instead, she has stuck with the security and life-plan that was decided for her before she was born. Growing up as a privileged white beautiful girl, a daughter to a successful and wealthy doctor, she had access to everything she asked for. Money, clothes, friends, boys. You name it. However, she has never truly been happy. She always felt like she was in prison, though an extremely glorious prison. She has never had the feeling of being appreciated and loved for who she was. Confusion has been the dominant feeling of her childhood. Her family did not have a loving family dynamic. Showing emotion was never allowed under her parent's roof. Therefore, Rachel learned to avoid her hearts true feelings and as result, she was now afraid of showing emotions.

What is love? Rachel knew it is an emotion. But if love means expressing affectionate emotion, then it explains why Rachel is scared and confused by it. She has never truly loved a man before. Not because she doesn't want to, but because she doesn't know how to love. She dated a lot of boys in high school and college. She liked them but never loved them. Marrying Barry was not an act of love, but instead a decision to please her parents. She always wants to make her parents proud, but she tired of denying her hearts true feelings. She wants to be independent, be in charge of her own life, and divorcing Barry and moving to New York City was her first step. The thought of breaking off all strings of material support from her parents make chills run down her spine. Nonetheless, the excitement of her new life is still too strong to ignore.
.........

The bell by the entrance of Central Perk was constantly making its melody created by the wave of people passing in and out, through the door. A hot cup of coffee was always a priority for people living in New York, especially during a cold and snowy December afternoon. Rachel was standing in front of the big window, gazing at the actions taking place inside the cafeteria in amazement of its popularity. While watching through the window, her eyes stopped at the sight of an orange couch. Catching her attention evermore was the four people gathered by the couch. Two girls and two boys, laughing and talking, enjoying life. Rachel eyes couldn't leave the sight in front of her. Her amused wide smile faded faintly as a feeling of longing rushed through her veins. Watching the four strangers being so happy made her heart heavy yet at the same time warm. She wanted what they have. Rachel couldn't identify what it is, but she wanted it. They seemed so happy. And, friendly.

Suddenly, her heart stopped and she took a sharp and quick breath. While holding her breath, Rachel rested her palms up against the cold glass of the window.
"Wow," she said, making the warm air from her mouth create a white cloud when mixed with the cold air surrounding her.
From the cash register walked the most gorgeous man she has ever laid eyes on. Her eyes closely followed his every movement. She watched him kiss the brown-haired girl on the head before taking a seat at the armchair by the orange couch at the end of the coffee table in front of him, with his back faced against her. The four strangers Rachel was watching earlier, seemed pleased by his arrival.

The five strangers were happily enjoying what seemed to be a funny conversation, unaware of the girl standing by the window watching them. Minutes passed by but Rachel couldn't take her attention away from the brown-haired man and like he could sense her strong gaze, he suddenly turned around and meet his eyes with hers.
Like she has been electrified, all hair on her body raised as an unfamiliar feeling spread through her body. For a moment, the time has stopped and everything around her became blurry. She could no longer hear the bell by the entrance of Central Perk. Every movement inside the cafeteria no longer caught her attention. The hundreds of people passing by her in the street no longer bothered her. At this moment, the only thing she could focus on was his eyes. His beautiful brown puppy dog eyes. Was it love?

------------------
*Authors note*
Heeeey everyone!!!
This is my first story ever! Please let me know what you think!

Disclaimer: English is not my native language so I can not guarantee you that everything will be grammatically correct. So, please have some understanding✨

I'm so excited about this story and I hope you are going to enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it!!!