Chapter 13: Money talkes

A few days later, Angus did not get up until evening and went down the stairs. He heard Malcolm and Susi arguing. Not again, thought Angus.

"Why do we only have $ 200 in our account!" Exclaimed Suzy angrily.

"It's my account! Not yours!" Malcolm exclaimed.

"I wanted to buy new clothes today!"

"You have enough to wear!"

"Malcolm! Where did all the damn money go!?" There was silence for a while. Angus hid behind the stairs and listened attentively. "Where did you give the money !?"

"I spent it on an operation, okay!?" Malcolm screamed. An operation? What operation?

"What surgery?" Asked Susi, still angry.

"For Angus! OK!? There's a doctor in Florida who does eye surgery!" Angus froze.

"For me?" He whispered.

"For Angus!? For Angus!? Of course for him! I can of course walk around naked! Do you still have them all!? This operation doesn't work anyway!"

"It's my money! And I want Angus to see! And even if it doesn't work, at least I've tried!" Malcolm yelled.

"That was all your damn money! You're almost broke!"

"And!? Angus is more important than money!"

"Oh! Poor Angus! He is blind! Poor fellow! Are you actually listening to yourself? Angus here! Angus there! Nothing else than your stupid brother!" Exclaimed Susi.

"I can't imagine how terrible it must be to have to spend your whole life in darkness! So be quiet! I don't want him to have to anymore!"

"Malcolm! You are crazy! Everything is about Angus! He's just a cripple anyway and will die blind!" Angus began to cry. There was silence for a while.

"Get out." Malcolm said softly.

"What?" Asked Susi.

"Go out. I never want to see you again. Take your things with you and never show up again."

"Malcolm ..."

"Get out!" Yelled Malcolm, his voice vibrating all over the house.

"Fine! Then I'll go! You're just messing up your life with that cripple!" Angus heard angry footsteps and then a door slammed. There was a bang. Then weeping. Angus came out of his hiding place and walked slowly towards the source of the sound.

"Mal?" He asked softly.

"Angus?" It came back softly.

"Mal, why did you do that? You loved her."

"Nobody calls my brother a cripple. Besides, it's my money and I can do whatever I want with it. She cheated on me anyway. Do you think I didn't know? Of course I knew that. But I didn't want that to be true." Angus knelt down and tried to hug Malcolm, but there was no one there. "I'm at 7 o'clock." Said Malcolm. Angus turned and hugged his brother tightly.

"Thank you, Mal." Malcolm stroked Angus' locks.

"I will always be there for you."