Chapter 3:"I can fly!"

"Are we out?" He asked.

"Yes, Ang. We're out." Malcolm said. "Do you trust me?"

"Yes." Angus replied immediately.

"Then sit down here." Malcolm pushed Angus onto the swing. Angus swung a little and whimpered in fear. "Hey. You don't have to be afraid, Angus. Swinging is really fun. It's like flying. I feel me always free. Do you want to try?"

"Ma said I can't swing." Angus muttered.

"Why not?"

"Blind boys are not allowed to do that, she said."

"Angus. Even if you're blind, you're not stupid or have two heads or anything." Angus started to laugh. Malcolm giggled. "Seriously. You're no different from me. And if I can swing, you can too." He took Angus' hands and placed them on the iron chain. "Hold on to the chains, okay? Don't prevent. Just sit like you do now. I nudge you. Slowly at first." Angus felt himself move a little forward and then backward and shrieked joyfully.

"Do that again!" Malcolm giggled and gave him a little harder push. "I'm flying!" Angus called.

"Not yet, Angus." Malcolm chuckled and pushed him up again. "Do you think you can go a little higher?"

"Yes!" Malcolm smiled as his brother swung through the air.

"You're flying Angus! You're flying!" Angus laughed happily. After a while, the swing stopped.

"Mal? Where are you?" Angus asked, moving his head a little.

"Here. Next to you."

"Can you kneel in front of me and put your hands on my shoulders?" Asked Angus.

"Em ... sure." Malcolm didn't understand why, but he did. Angus suddenly hugged him tightly.

"Thank you, Mal! That was so fun!" Malcolm smiled.

"I knew you would like it."

"It was so fun! Why did Ma forbid me to do that? Why is everyone treating me so weird?" Angus asked sadly.

"Everyone is afraid that you might get hurt, Ang. They don't want to harm you. But they won't let you do anything at all and that's not okay. I think you should be able to do anything you want."

"Thanks! You're the best big brother ever!" Malcolm chuckled.