Chapter 8: Big brother

A few years later: (Angus 13; Malcolm 15)

Malcolm was waiting for him outside Angus' school. Angus went to a different school than Malcolm. But their schools were next to each other. People with weaknesses went to Angus School. Children ran out. He saw a girl in a wheelchair who got stuck on the hall door. The other children ran past her.

"Wait! I'll help you!" Malcolm shouted and ran towards her. She looked at him shyly. Malcolm carefully lifted her wheelchair from the hall and put it down again.

"Thank you." She smiled.

"No problem."

"Not everyone helps me. I'm a girl in a wheelchair." The two moved a little to the side.

"Have you always been in a wheelchair?" Malcolm asked carefully.

"Yes." She nodded. "It's normal for me."

"I'm sorry." Malcolm muttered.

"Not your fault. I don't think it's bad."

"What's your name?"

"Fili. What's your name?"

"Malcolm."

"Oh. A nice name."

"Yours is beautiful too." Malcolm smiled.

"Why are you here? You don't seem to have a disability?" She asked curiously.

"I'm waiting for my little brother."

"Oh. Okay." They were quiet for a while. "Look." Fili said, pointing to boys who annoyed a smaller one.

"Come with me!" Malcolm called and started running. She followed him. "Hey! Stop it now!" Malcolm screamed. The three turned around.

"What do you want? That's not your problem."

"Angus! Come here!" Angus heard his brother's voice and looked around.

"Mal? Where are you?" Malcolm went ahead and took his brother's hand.

"I'm here. Everything is fine." He led Angus to Fili. "Stay here, Ang." Angus nodded a little. Fili took Angus' hand. "What shoud that be? Malcolm asked. The three boys, who were much taller than Malcolm, looked at him angrily.

"He has no right to live. Something like that will never bring us anything. He'll never pay taxes and be on the government's pocket." Angus' heart ached when he heard this. Fili caressed his hand. Malcolm growled.

"He's not useless. You have no right to live. You are scum that nobody wants."

"Hey! Look out for what you say!" One of them shouted. Malcolm stormed the three of them. They began to fight. Angus only heard screams.

"What's going on?" He asked in a panic.

"They're fighting." Fili said. Angus wanted to go to Malcolm, but Fili held on to him. At some point it got quiet.

"If you idiots annoy my brother again, I'll give you a chair as nice as Fili has!" Malcolm yelled. Angus had to smile a little. He heard steps as the three of them ran away. Malcolm trudged over to them. "Are you okay, Angus?" Angus pressed against him.

"Thanks, Mal." He hummed.

"No problem, Angus." Malcolm smiled.

"I have to go. It was really cool to meet you! "Shouted Fili.

"Bye, see you tomorrow!" Angus called. Malcolm and Angus went home.