Chapter 2: First day in daycare

"Oh, you must be Angus." Angus heard a female voice. He held Malcolm's hand a little tighter. "I'm Lisa. The teacher here. Malcolm is your big brother, right?" Angus nodded uncertainly. "Well then come with me. Then you can play with the other children." She wanted to take Angus' hand, but Angus wouldn't let her.

"Why can't he go with me, ma'm?" He heard Malcolm ask.

"Because Angus is going to a different group than you are, Malcolm. Angus goes to a group for children with weaknesses. Children who have trouble." Angus felt Malcolm's hand grip his tighter.

"No. He doesn't go there. Angus is just a normal boy like me. You don't have to treat him any differently. He can go into a group with me as normal. Besides, the other kids are definitely not nice to him. I have to be with him."

"But Angus can't see anything, Malcolm. So he has to go to a different group." Angus held Malcolm's hand tighter and felt Malcolm stroke the back of his hand with his thumb.

"My brother is going with me." Malcolm said, almost angrily.

"Malcolm! You are four years old! I won't let a four year old tell me what to do!" Exclaimed the teacher.

"Angus is a perfectly normal boy! He likes chocolate, likes to play and likes to be outside! He is not a child who has mental health problems. Mama also told him to do what he wanted!" Malcolm yelled loudly.

"Angus? Do you want to go to the other kids and play with them?" Lisa asked, looking at Angus. Angus pressed his face into Malcolm's shoulder. Malcolm hugged him and held him tight. "Angus? You must be in the handicapped class with the other kids."

"I want to stay with you, Mal." Angus whispered into Malcolm's shoulder.

"I know, Ang. But she doesn't seem to understand that you need me."

"There are adults there. And the children are all happy and play a lot."

"That's not true at all!" Malcolm cried. "Tim and I looked through the window once! The children are all sitting in silence in the corner! Nobody is playing and laughing! Angus is not as boring as they are!" There were steps. Angus turned to the source of the noise.

"What's going on here?" Asked another woman's voice, which was lower.

"Malcolm doesn't want to leave his brother where he belongs," Lisa said.

"My brother is no different from me. He's just a normal boy. He can't help that he can't see. I am promised to take care of him. But he has to go with me." Malcolm begged. It was quiet for a while.

"All right Malcolm. Angus can join your group. But you are responsible for him." Angus started to smile when he heard this.

"Thank you Mrs. Albus." Malcolm said cheerfully. "Come on, Ang! We're going out to the swings!" Malcolm called, pulling Angus by the hand. Angus felt warmth on his face.