Chapter 15: Quarrel among brothers

"Mal? Are you here?" Asked Angus.

"Yes. Don't worry, you're not alone."

"Mal, why did you cry?"

"I didn't cry."

"Yes, you did. Why did you cry?"

"W ... Because you don't see me." It came back softly. "All my life I wish nothing but that you can see again."

"Why are you crying? This is my problem and not yours." Said Angus.

"I ... I just want you to see me."

"You only care what you want, right!?" Angus screamed. Malcolm winced.

"W ... what?"

"I still remember exactly what kind of theater you pulled out when you got a book for Christmas and not what you wanted! Any other son would have taken the book and been happy, but not our Malcolm! No! You had to scream that you wanted something else!" Malcolm looked at him with watery eyes.

"You don't even know what I wanted then ..."

"Something that cannot be fulfilled! Something Dad and Ma couldn't afford!"

"Angus ..."

"You lied to me! My whole life! You said I could see again, but I can't see! Nothing! You are a wretched liar! I hate you!" Angus slapped him in the face and was surprised that he really scored. Malcolm was crying hard and ran into his room. Angus was still angry. What had he wanted? He asked himself. He went to the phone and called to his parents, who were there after a quarter of an hour.

"What's the matter, Angus? What did you want to ask us?" Asked Margarete as they sat on the sofa.

"What did Malcolm want for Christmas?"

"What do you mean?" Asked William.

"What did Malcolm want that Christmas when he yelled around that he wanted something else?"

"He ... Angus ... he wanted you to see something." Angus' mouth fell open.

"What happened? Why did you ask that now?" Angus told the whole story.

"Oh darling." Margarete whispered and took her son in her arms. "He was there for you all his life. Why did you tell him that? He tried his best. He can't help it that the operation didn't work." Angus wept into his mother's shoulder.

"I was such an idiot."

"Where is he?" Asked William.

"In our room."

"You really should go to him, Angus." Margarete whispered. With that the two adults left. Angus cried as he slowly walked up the stairs and stroked the floor with his stick.

"Mal?" He asked softly as he opened the door to the room. The only answer was sobbing. "Mal, please. I was an asshole. I'm sorry."

"G ... go away." Malcolm cried. Angus turned to the source of the voice.

"Malcolm, I'm sorry. I was an idiot. Of course I don't hate you." There was a broken sob. "God, I'm so sorry." He continued to run his cane across the floor, hoping to find Malcolm.

"L ... let me." Malcolm cried.

"I now know what you wanted for Christmas and I'm so sorry for what I said to you. I would love to undo the last few minutes.

"It hurt, Angus. It hurt so bad." Malcolm whispered.

"What?"

"What you said to me. I've spent my whole life taking care of you. Do you think George, Marga, or someone from our other siblings would have taken you in and not asked you to pay rent?"

"I'm really sorry..."

"I know I lied to you about the surgery and it didn't work. But listen: if I could trade with you, I would do it right now. Without hesitation."

"Why?" Angus asked quietly.

"Because you deserve more than darkness. So much more." Angus started to cry.

"I'm so sorry for what I said." Angus heard a creak and then someone gave him a hug.

"I'm sorry for what I said, too."