chapter four

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. The award show was going to be full of celebrities and the only famous person I'd ever met was that guy from Blue's Clues when I was like six.

I just wanted to look nice and blend in. I was going for the experience and nothing more. I just wanted to go to some form of award show once before I died and then I could live in peace.

Margaux and I had started prepping hours before the show, blaring music, having spontaneous dance battles, and doing our hair and makeup.

Around seven, we were finally prepared--emotionally and physically--for the award show.

We approached the door and stopped together, mentally running through our checklists. Luckily, having just remembered to take some money and my phone with me, I ran to my room to grab them, tripping over everything in the crazy heels Margaux lent me by force.

"Okay," I huffed as I finally made it back to the door with--miraculously--no injuries.

I decided to whip out my phone and vlog the car ride so I'd at least have something to post in case I wasn't allowed to film at the award show.

"Hello!" I waved enthusiastically to the camera lens. "I'm currently in the car with Margaux--say hi Margaux!"

"Hey!" she looked over and waved glamourously.

"Ten and two, Margaux, ten and two!" I shouted jokingly.

She rolled her eyes and continued driving.

"Would you like to tell them where we are, Margaux?"

I turned the camera to face her, but she didn't remove her eyes from the road as she had before.

"On the way to The Brits!" she cheered.

"And what are you going to do there?" I shouted as if I were a cheerleader, pepping up a crowd before a game.

"INTERVIEW PEOPLE!"

She threw a fist in the air, making me shout "TEN AND TWO" once more.

"And shat are you going to do there?" She shouted back at me in the same tone that I had used with her.

"SIT IN THE CORNER AND WATCH!"

She laughed.

"Don't make me regret bringing you along," she warned humorously.

I made a face at the camera and shook my head.

"No promises."

*

The show sounded pretty good, but I didn't see much of it. I was sat with Margaux somewhere off in another room as she spoke to another interviewer about the questions they planned on asking the musicians.

Most interviews had taken place on the red carpet outside of the building, but the BBC had assigned Margaux and her partner to hold theirs backstage after the show. Weird.

We were seated in an array of couches and chairs facing each other. Both Margaux and the guy, Chris, were speaking intently and taking down serious notes. Occasionally they'd scroll through Wikipedia on their phones to clarify specific dates they planned on talking about.

It was a whole new world to me. I was so used to seeing everything from an outside/fan perspective that when I saw things how they were from the inside, I couldn't help but be fascinated.

Every once in a while, I'd run to the washroom and vlog "bathroom updates" on the whole thing, or slip in the back and watch some of the artists receive their awards.