16. Home And Away

Fiona was bound and gagged in the truck while Kayleigh and Sky sat in the semi circle facing the panel before them. No one had spoken yet. not since Sky had told them the truth. Everybody just sat staring at the other person and gathering their wits

"I knew you guys weren't to be trusted" Ria broke the silence

"Excuse me? Who just saved your life?" Kayleigh answered

"You lied to us. Who knows maybe you planned this"

"Yea. Cause I'll save you after planning to kill you"

"Shut up before I make you"

"As if you can" Kayleigh snorted and Ria lunged for her. Sky was up and flung Ria so she hit a tree and cracked it. She was coming back when Damien grabbed her.

"Calm down" Damien ordered and Ria growled in their direction before racing off

"We need your help" Sky stated calmly

"And I should help you because?" Damien asked and Sky shook his head

"I know we lied to you but we really didn't mean to. If we did we wouldn't have saved you

"But I still can't help you. I am under an oath to serve and protect my pack"

"I understand. But I assure you we are not a threat. We just need your help to cross the boarder back to our territory"

"I.."

"We'll help" Emily cut him

"Em" Damien warned "This is not the time to be emotional. We can't let them go"

"They saved our lives Damien. And helped us complete our quest. Think of how many people will be at ease because Fiona is no longer a threat. We both know that we'd never have been able to get her without them. In exchange the least we can do is get them home safely"

"I understand that Em. I really do. And for the single fact that you're safe, I'm willing to risk my life for them. But risking my pack's safety? I can't."

"If they wanted to harm the pack do you think they wouldn't have done it already?" Emily breathed deeply before continuing "This once, let's think like humans."

Damien considered that for a moment before he nodded. "Fine. But if I ever hear of your people here again, I won't let them go easily" He promised

"I'll make sure to do something about the open boundaries" Sky promised

"Come on. I can get you to the boarder and distract the guard while you slip out"

They all stood up and headed to the vehicle until they heard a scream and stopped abruptly

"What was that?" Emily asked

"Oh no! Ria!" Damien was already racing towards the sound and Sky followed leaving Emily and Kayleigh to walk like hums behind them.

"Kayleigh?" Emily called and they stopped facing each other "Were we friends?"

Kayleigh considered the question for a minute before answering. Surprising herself by how true her answer was "If we ever meet again, perhaps after the war has somewhat abated, I'll invite you over" Kayleigh promised "There's this cinema that shows the latest movies from the human world. We could go there and be homesick together"

"Thank You" Emily flung her arms around her and Kayleigh had to resist the urge to roll her eyes "It's been a while since I connected to someone human. It meant a lot to me"

"Can't you just go home?" Kayleigh asked pulling away

"I don't have a home anymore" Emily shook her head. They'd began walking again.