The buns

Summary: A mother daughter tradition involving a certain hairstyle.
Rated: G

"Mamma!" Leia yelled as her mother walked into her bedroom.

Breha Organa opened her arms as her five year old daughter jumped up into her harms.

When Breha finally let go she took a step back to have a proper look at Leia who was wearing the new white dress the royal seamstress had made for her.

Leia had turned five three weeks ago and tonight she would make her first appearance at one of her parents balls. Granted she wouldn't be able to stay for the entire ball, that wouldn't happen till she was thirteen, only at the beginning to greet the guests but the young princess could barely contain her excitement.

"Now why isn't your hair done yet," Breha asked while still smiling and brushing a loose lock of Leia's loose brown hair behind her ear.

"I wanted you to do it mamma!" Leia exclaimed as she jumped up and down.

Breha smiled gently as she guided Leia to sit down at her small vanity table.

Breha grabbed the sliver hair brush and started brushing Leia's hair through. Though they had many servants who could do the task for her Breha often brushed Leia's hair.

It was a very soothing act for Breha but it was also more than that. On Alderaan women, especially high ranking ones, often wore their hair in fancy hairstyles. In fact Alderaan was quite know for its braids and other hairstyles. But the importance of hair for Alderaan women made it a sacred thing passed between mothers and daughters. Breha's own mother often took time away from her own duties as Queen of Alderaan to help her with her hair.

This was what Breha had dreamed about for so many years while she and Bail struggled to have a child. Then one day like a miracle Bail had returned home with this precious babe in his arms. Though it was a miracle that came at the cost of a dear friend.

"How would you like your hair?" Breha asked.

Leia pulled a thoughtful face and waited a moment before answering.

"Buns!" she exclaimed.

"Buns?" Breha asked amused.

"Yes," Leia nodded, "one on each side."

Breha paused. That was an Alderaanian hairstyle, in fact it was a favourite of his sisters in law, but it was also a hairstyle Breha remembered Padmé wearing on few occasions. She supposed that it was just a coincidence but . . .

"Are you sure?" Breha asked.

"Yes!" Leia exclaimed. "I want to look pretty!"

"You always look pretty," Breha laughed as she gave Leia a peck on the cheek. "Are you sure you want buns?"

Leia nodded enthusiastically.

"Alright then. Your aunts are going to love this."

Once Breha was done she watched as Leia smiled at herself in the mirror.

"How's things going in here?" Bail asked as he walked in.

"Papa!" Leia exclaimed as she ran from her vanity and into her father's waiting arms.

Bail picked Leia up and spun her around. When Leia pulled back slightly so Bail could see her hair he did a double take.

"Nice hair."

"Thank you!" Leia said brightly. "Mamma did it for me!"

Bail looked towards Breha.

"It's an Alderaanian hairstyle B," Breha sighed, "besides your sisters are going to love it."