Chapter 6

A couple hours later, Casey and Bailey were sitting together under a tree by the ruins of Bailey's cottage. Casey still had the test in his pocket but both forgot all about that because Bailey was too distraught.

"I can't believe someone would do this," Casey said as Bailey cried into his arm.

Casey just sat there comforting Bailey. The two had just helped a number of people from the town, put the fire out with buckets of water going from the nearby well along people to the place engorged in flames. Bailey knew who was behind it. It was the work of Seth Drew. Lenora's brother who Bailey was in an enormous rivalry with.

* * *

The next day at lunch Casey and Lenora were sitting in the music room at school enjoying their lunches. Lenora was having Sushi and Casey was having Pizza Pockets.

"So how was your evening?" she asked him.

"It was alright," he answered. "How was yours?"

"Quite short. After joining the town in putting out the flames, I fell asleep on the couch at my mother's and didn't wake until morning for school," Lenora answered.

"Fun, I just spent the night chatting with Bailey," Casey replied.

"Makes sense. Wasn't it her cottage that was burned?" Lenora asked.

"Ya. She was pretty upset about it," Casey responded, "Where is she?"

"Not sure, maybe she ditched school because she's too distraught," Lenora replied.

"Huh, I guess you're right," Casey said after he thought about it for a moment, "I'm gonna go look for her, You wanna come?"

"I'll finish my lunch and catch up with you two later," Lenora said as she bit into a piece of sushi.

* * *

Elsewhere, Bailey was rather furiously screaming into her phone. Casey followed her screams to the cubbyhole where he caught the end of her call.

"I can't believe you would do that! I'm so getting you back for this! You stupid idiot! Hope you die in a hole! Pause. Fuck you too!" Bailey shouted into the phone before hanging up and sitting in place pouting.

"You okay, Bailey?" Casey said, appearing seemingly out of nowhere,

"Gah! Casey! You startled me. I'm fine." she said quickly.

"You sure? Because you sounded pretty angry just a second ago," Casey inquired,

"It's nothing. Don't worry about," her mood switched from pissy to perkily happy in a split second.

"Alright." Casey said sitting down beside her.

"So how are you today?" she asked.

"I'm a little worried about your cottage, but I'll be good." Casey responded.

"It's okay, nothing lasts forever," she said singing it quietly.

"Alright," Casey responded, giving Bailey a hug. She hugged him back.

"So, any plans for today after theatre?" she asked.

"I was gonna go home and play video games while procrastinating on getting my homework done, so... not really," Casey joked,

"I was wondering if you wanted to join me in setting up a prank after school?" she asked, mischievously.

"What kind of prank?" Casey asked, suspiciously,

"We are going to make a mess of this person's treehouse." Bailey explained.

"Will we get in trouble?" Casey asked, slightly frightened,