Honesty

"I don't get it," Jamie said again.

Jack hurriedly changed into clothes that were unmarred from the elements. The only clothes he didn't wear when he was outside working. "What's not to get? When Elsa gets back, we're going to meet her family, and Elsa and I are going to have a talk with them about what we can do."

Mary was equally confused, "What could they do?"

"I don't know. Maybe feed us? Help me find a job?" He finished packing the trunk and found his shawl again. He made sure he didn't look like just another peasant boy. This would be the most important exchange of his life. His grin belied the panic inside of him, "It's a good thing."

The twins could hear the tremor in his voice. Jack stepped closer and knelt in front of them, "Listen... There's a lot that's happened that I can't explain. I need to do this—not just for us, but for Elsa too. I need you two to be on your best behavior. When we get there, just..." What advice could he possibly give them? "Just... Don't say anything." He got up, "I probably shouldn't either." He grumbled under his breath and picked up his satchel. He sucked on his lip again and remembered how terrible he must look. Sleep-deprived, a busted lip, and pink bruises all around his neck. He could easily insist he keep his shawl on to hide the bruises, but as for everything else...

Of course on this crucial day Jack had long-known was coming, he looked disheveled and unfit to even be in the presence of wealthy townsfolk. Though, in the Nordheims' case, their privilege was only for show, and may not last another month without his aid. But Jack couldn't make it obvious he knew, not unless Elsa specifically said so. He was waiting for her to return and give them the okay.

He hoped she was all right. What would she say? Would they ask about their 'friendship?'

How was she so sure this plan could possibly work? Yes, they were desperate, but—

"Jack?" Jamie's voice jolted him from his thoughts. "What's wrong?"

He thought he'd been doing a good job at seeming calm, so his confusion wasn't an act, "What do you mean?"

"You're pacing."

Jack had been completely blind to his walking back and forth in the small shed; he was accustomed to having his fieldwork and household chores keeping him active and busy that the physical work relieved his stress. But his entire life, Jack was a pacer. Moving was his way of letting out his worry. The beast would tell him to sit still, and whenever he tried, he'd end up swinging his legs on whatever chair he was seated in.

Jamie wasn't clueless to Jack's nervous habits. "When you're worried about something, you pace. And you bite your thumbnail."

And a nail-biter. Jack couldn't believe he didn't realize he'd been nibbling his own nail; Lord forbid he at least have presentable hands for the family he so badly wanted to call in-laws. He ripped his thumb away from his lips and wrung his hands together tightly. He just wished Elsa would get back already so he could at least know what was going on.

He had to be brave, be brave for Elsa. She wore her courage like a cloak—perhaps she had been born with it. Jack always wanted to be one of those lucky ones, but he had to work to find any bravery in him. He couldn't relax, and the air was starting to feel like heavy stones on his chest.

"Jack, sit down." Mary urged.

"I just need some air." He opened the shed door and let the menacing cold in, but once the outside nipped at his skin he started to feel better. The dizziness went away and the nerves subsided. For now.

...

Hours went by. The woods were uncharacteristically silent aside from the autumn drizzle that had started just a moment ago.