Unknowing Voyeurism

The beast left on its hunt, and Jack felt like he knew how to breathe for the first time in weeks... months... years. Yes, it would only be a few days, but it might make all the difference in his sleep, his motivation, and his galloping heart rate that was finally beating at a normal pace.

Even the twins were much more comfortable; the three had a sprightly conversation as they ate their breakfast together the first morning he was gone. Jamie found himself spacing out every so often, thinking about what he'd been up late working on the night before. He hoped he wouldn't end up falling asleep in class and getting in trouble again.

He didn't care if he missed recess, all that mattered was making sure his art project made it to where it needed to be... And that it wasn't seen by anyone that it wasn't meant for.

...

When Jamie and Mary left for school, Jack began his chores in a much better mood than even he was used to. He found himself whistling a spirited tune. It was merely life as always, but the air felt less suffocating when the beast wasn't around. He didn't have to fret over what the beast might want for dinner that evening or how his temper would be after a long day of working around the village.

Just him and his siblings... As he wanted it to be. Though, having someone else to keep him company while he worked would be a welcomed addition. A certain blonde that had been in his thoughts all night. They weren't pleasant thoughts as he tossed and turned sleeplessly; he was thinking of problems he didn't even have yet.

Suppose he got the money he needed. Then what? He and his siblings stay put until he finds a place to live? Until he secures some sort of job? Not only that, but Elsa... He wanted her hand, that he had meant. But he knew her parents wouldn't approve of some runaway peasant boy. If they were crazy enough to accept his proposal, would he be able to support her? He would never let his siblings starve or be cold, and he would certainly put in more effort to take care of Elsa if needed... But what if he couldn't?

And Jamie and Mary... What if they didn't want to leave?

Children were ignorant—it couldn't be helped. Their father that ignored them and beat their brother was still their father. Jack knew he wouldn't give them a choice, but what if they made a fuss and got them all caught when that day came? All of their friends, their school, the fields and the forest they played in were all here on the fjords. This was their home.

They didn't understand what 'home' meant to an adult. The fjord was just a place. The house was just walls. It might have been home once, but now it was a prison.

Now I know why you left. Jack remarked bitterly in his mind. Only an hour into his work and Jack had lost what little glee he had that day. He finished changing the twins' bedsheets and went to take the old ones outside to wash... but then he wondered what he could find now that he had some time to search the beast's lair.

Almost all of his mother's belongings had been picked through for pawning, and trying to take anything that belonged to the beast was out of the question—not because the beast would notice if something small were missing, but because Jack wouldn't be able to mask his fear of being found out.

None of the animals were an option either; livestock was guaranteed to fetch nice prices, but they were still necessary for feeding his children— siblings. He corrected himself internally not for the first time and went through the bottom drawer of the chest across from his father's bed. No, nothing of use. Just clothes.

Maybe Jamie had been onto something when he took that spoon for whatever reason. Their cutlery was worn at best and probably wouldn't be worth a single skilling. "Damn it." He heard himself rasp. It was time to get back to work. Before he could shut the drawer back, something caught his eye that had him questioning his own sight. What he found, tucked deeply beneath all the raiment, was shining despite it had been hidden from sunlight for years.